The IntelliJ IDEA Plugin integrates dynaTrace advanced profiling capabilities to the IntelliJ IDEA IDE.The plugin uses the IDEA plugin architecture and integrates seamless. All configurations can be done by using the graphical user interface.
The following dynaTrace integrations are supported:
- Agent Injection (Launcher)
- Session Recording
- Source Code Lookup (CodeLink)
Christian Grimm (firstname.lastname@example.org)
dynaTrace >= 5.5
IntelliJ IDEA Versions
2012-01-10 Initial Release
The following process describes how to install the dynaTrace IntelliJ IDEA Plugin on a MacOS system. However, the process is identical on other operating systems.
Step 1 - Download
Step 2 - Installation
Open the IDEA general preferences dialog, navigate to "Plugins" and click on "Install plugin from disk..":
Select the downloaded .zip file:
After the plugin has been successfully installed, a restart of IDEA is required:
The dynaTrace IDEA plugin provides two configuration dialogs:
The dynaTrace settings dialog can be access by opening the IDEA preferences dialog and navigating to the "dynaTrace Integration" section:
There are two settings here:
- dynaTrace Client Web Service Port: This specifies the TCP port used to connect to the dynaTrace client's REST services.
- CodeLink: If enabled, IDEA connects to the local dynaTrace client using the specified TCP port. This enables the context menu "Source Lookup" -> "Open in IDE" in the dynaTrace client and opens the selected class/method in IDEA.
This dynaTrace launcher is located in the IDEA main window right next to the standard 'Run' button:
Before the 'Run with dynaTrace' button can be used, the Run/Debug Configuration needs to be configured properly. This can be done by editing the Run/Debug Configuration:
There are multiple settings:
- Agent Library: This specifies the path to the dynaTrace agent binary. On Windows system, this is the path to dtagent.dll.
- Agent Name: This defines the name of the agent.
- dynaTrace Server Address: Sets the address of the dynaTrace server. Use 'localhost' if the dynaTrace server runs on the same machine as IDEA runs.
- dynaTrace Server Port: Default is 9998
- Enable Session Recording: If enabled, session recording will be started and stopped automatically with the application.
- dynaTrace Server Name: This sets the name of the dynaTrace server to use for session recording.
- System Profile: Sets the system profile to use for session recording.
If configuration is done properly it should look like this when the 'Run with dynaTrace' button is used:
The following shows an example of CodeLink.
Using the 'Source Lookup' context menu from the dynaTrace Client:
... opens the selected class and method in IDEA:
Please provide feedback on this plugin either by commenting on this page or by comments on the Community Plugins and Extensions site.