AppMon 6.0 and later supports 64 bit Clients for Windows and *NIX, which has several advantages:
- Standalone Clients are included in Windows and Linux 64 bit full installation packages, so separate installations are no longer necessary.
- Linux 64 bit: No need to install extra libraries.
- Bigger data sets for analysis, coinciding nicely with the introduction of the Frontend Server serving these.
What to Know Before Setup
- AppMon 32bit Client is no longer supported with AppMon 6.5
- The installation process on Linux requires a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.6 or later.
- AppMon Server, Collector and Client standalone installations run only on operating systems with Java 7. On Windows and Linux, the AppMon package comes with a private JRE 1.7 for run time.
- The Client on the Mac requires JRE 1.7 for run time.
- Download and install the AppMon Client on Windows, Linux or MacOS X (Intel architecture only).
For exact supported OS versions see System Requirements > AppMon Client.
- Memory requirements: 512MB minimum, 1GB recommended.
- If you want a locally installed Client, for example to connect to several same-version AppMon Servers (no matter what bitness and on which OS) you either install the Client with a full installer together with other components or on Windows do a custom installation – or install separately from a Client-only installer.
Sample *NIX Client-only installation command:
java -jar <path>/dynatrace-client-<version>-<platform>.jar
The Linux Client installation file is named
dynatrace-client-<version>-linux-x86.jarcontains 64bit client only.
To change the used memory for the AppMon Client, access the menu Settings > Dynatrace Client and set the Maximum heap memory to a reasonable size.
The Dynatrace Client Preferences dialog box provides configuration options for:
- General settings: Maximum heap memory, check for Client update, dashboard change, reset warning dialogs and layouts, UI full or simple.
- Services: Enable REST Web services and port, allow non-SSL connections and set port, configure proxy for Client.
- Directories: Configure where to store reports, dashboards, logs, etc.
- External Tools: .Net reflector and text editor location, Coradiant TrueSight host, Web browser launch configuration, and Java decompiler.
Starting the Client
Start the Client in one of the following ways:
- From the Start menu
- From the command line with
%DT_HOME%for a 64-bit default full installation is
C:\Program Files\dynaTrace\dynaTrace 6.5.
Command Line Start Examples
|CD to Default Installation <DT_HOME> Copy/Paste Example|
cd <DT_HOME> and
If you accept the default directory and install to the recommended
/opt, you can invoke the Client with the following:
Copy the AppMon Client from the disk image to the installation location on your hard drive. To start it, double-click the Client icon (JRE 1.7 required).
To import settings from a previous installation:
- Open the old and new Client application package via the context menu Show Package Content.
- Copy the files listed below from inside the old Client to the corresponding directories in the Users home directory. The new AppMon Client creates these after its first start.