February 29 th 2016
Working together just got easier! Dynatrace AppMon & UEM 6.3 enables teams to share web dashboards on-the-go, breaks up silos between full-stack developers and database gurus, and on-boards front-end developers with familiar analytics views for web pages and mobile apps. This release simplifies the daily life of your APM champions with full control of automatic agent updates in production, automatic load balancing of collectors, and enterprise-grade security compliance.
- Dynatrace 6.3.32 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.31 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.30 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.29 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.28 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.27 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.26 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.25 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.24 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.23 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.22 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.21 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.20 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.19 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.18 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.17 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.16 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.15 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.14 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.13 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.12 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.11 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.10 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.9 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.8 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.7 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.6 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.5 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.4 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.3 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.2 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3.1 Release Notes
- Dynatrace 6.3 Mainframe Release Notes
- System Requirements
No matter your role or use case, the Get Started guide has you covered:
- New to Dynatrace AppMon and UEM? See the Get Started Task Overview.
- Advanced user with specific use cases? Quick links offer guidance for specific roles and use cases: developers, testers, business, operations, continuous delivery, and user experience.
- Free trial user looking for a basic install? See our Free Trial and Evaluation Guide.
- Setting up a complete installation in a live environment? See the new Installation Overview.
- Upgrading from a previous version? See our rebuilt Upgrade and Migration Guide.
Fewer Editions. Simplified Licensing.
Beginning with 6.2 we reduced the number of available commercial editions. Production Edition and Pre-production Edition are all you need. The Test Center edition has been renamed "Pre-production" and the Development Team Edition has been eliminated.
6.1 and earlier
|6.3 and later|
|Development Team Edition||1||2|
1 ) Development Team Edition license for 6 or 6.1 still works
2 ) Development Team Edition will not be supported going forward (contact your sales representative for conversion options)
Licensing is compatible with Dynatrace AppMon & UEM 6.0+ licenses, so you don't need to upgrade your license unless you are migrating from an earlier product version (5.6 or earlier). You can upgrade an existing license on your own using our eServices license management portal. For full details, see the license upgrade documentation.
Following a license upgrade, ensure that your current license is deactivated. If you're using UEM, ensure that the correct amount of UEM volume is reissued in the form of UEM vouchers.
AppMon for z/OS still uses a MIPS-based licensing model but Compuware's License Management System (LMS) has been removed. Starting with the 6.3 release, z/OS licenses are now only available through eServices. IMS and CICS regions (sub agents) need to be listed as z/OS agents. Java and native agents running on z/OS are now also licensed through the Dynatrace AppMon server.
This release contains a number of quality improvements, including the following issues that have been resolved:
JLT-137446 Collector/Server: StackOverflowError when sending CPU Sampling from Collector to Server and the InheritanceMap contains circular entries.
JLT-140382 NGINX Agent: Prevent instrumentation of unsupported PIE builds that could otherwise cause a crash
- JLT-127616 PHP agent: SoapClient sensor: While creating Dynatrace tag, do direct manipulation on '_stream_context' object from Zend internals.
- JLT-138259 No connection established with zRemote servers after CICS region recycle weekly. zRemote servers go down and don't come back up.
- JLT-137279 PurePath not analyzed because of time conversion problems (end time in the future)
- JLT-137391 Data loss for Oracle, DB2 and PostgreSQL performance warehouses after network outage between server and DB host
While new product releases are tested extensively with all supported platforms and technologies, certain issues cannot be addressed by product. Please refer to our Knowledge Base for other workarounds and tips.
- Due to a bug in Apache 2.4, HTTP status code 413 might be returned instead of 200
- System profiles from product versions 4.2 and earlier must be migrated to 5.6 before they can be upgraded to 6.2.
- MongoDB sensor can cause VerifyError on MongoDB 3.1
- JDBC and Exception aggregation can lead to object churn
- Rich Client may leak memory when opening Infrastructure Overview dashlet and others several times (e.g. in Kiosk mode)
- Synthetic portal changes for the web client integration will be available March 11th.
The system requirements and supported technologies are bound to the Dynatrace Server version. Although discontinued/unsupported technologies might work, they aren’t supported. Dynatrace features might not work, if not all components are on the same version.
- Supported agent Platforms and Operating Systems
- Oracle (Sun) JVM, IBM JVM, JRockit JVM, HP JVM
- 10MB disk space
- DB Agent supports Oracle Database 11g/12c and Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014
The Dynatrace Server (backend process / Windows service / *NIX daemon) is only supported on operating systems that support Java 8 . Only the included JRE is supported.
- Windows x86/x64 10/8.1/8/7/Vista or Server 2008/2012 with latest service pack; installer (
.msi) does NOT need a JRE; package contains a private 32bit / 64bit JRE 1.8 for runtime.
- Linux x86/x64 with a recent kernel >= 2.6; installation requires a pre-installed JRE, v1.6 or higher; package contains a private 32bit / 64bit JRE 1.8 for runtime.
- LDAP for Dynatrace user authentication.
- Active Directory
See the Deployment Guide for detailed hardware recommendations specific to your load.
Why should I go for XLarge64 or XLarge96? Click here to get more details.
Recommended Disk Space
Memory for Dynatrace Server
Memory for machine2
|VM support||Available as SaaS|
| Demo |
5 Agents | 120 Transactions/sec
|1.5GB + 100GB Continuous Session Storage/week ||1.5GB||2GB||2||0||Yes 6||No|
| Small |
10 Agents | 200 Transactions/sec
|3GB + 200GB continuous Session Storage/week||3GB||3.5GB||4||1||Yes 6||Yes|
| Medium |
100 Agents | 1,200 Transactions/sec
|5GB + 1TB Continuous Session Storage/week ||6GB||7GB||8||1||Yes 6||Yes|
| Large |
750 Agents | 3,000 Transactions/sec
|10GB + 2TB Continuous Session Storage/week||16GB 8)||20GB 8)||16||34||Yes 6,7||Yes|
XLarge | XLarge64 | XLarge96
|20GB + >2TB Continuous Session Storage/week||30GB | 60GB | 100GB 8)||40GB | 80GB | 120GB 8)||24||64||Yes 5,6,7||No|
1 ) The maximum agent numbers consider a typical combination of different agents types (Java, .NET, host, WebServer, PHP, etc.).
In special circumstances, significant more agents are supported (e. g. mainly host agents). Please contact support for guidance and confirmation.
2) Required memory for the Dynatrace Server and operating system. If there are other processes running, then additional heap is required.
3) No virtual cores (Hyper-Threading), for Medium and above a clock speed of 2.6 GHz or higher is required.
4) These numbers are only valid for Java and Collectors with 8GB heap and 4 cores. For more details see requirements for Collectors.
5) For an XLarge installation, database partitioning is mandatory.
6) No over-commitment of resources (CPU, memory, network, disk) and no virtual-only resources that are not backed by dedicated physical resources.
7) The customer must ensure VM is equivalent to a physical box in all performance metrics. For more details see Guidelines for running dynaTrace in VMWare.
8) Includes 30% memory in addition to the JVM settings (Xmx,...) that the Java G1 garbage collector (used in >= large environments) needs.
- Windows x86/x64 10/8.1/8/7/Vista or Server 2008/2012 with latest service pack
- Linux x86/x64 with a recent kernel >= 2.6
- Solaris SPARC or x86/x64 10/11/11.1/11.2/11.3
- AIX Power 6.1.5/7.1/7.2
- zOS Unix 1.13/2.1/2.2
- z/Linux SLES 10 SP2+
HP-UX IA64 11i v2+
Compatible JVMs for Collector runtime: Oracle (Sun) JVM 1.8+ (included with Windows and Linux installers), IBM JVM 1.8+, HP JVM 1.8+
Recommended Disk Space
100 Java / 25 .NET Agents
200 Java / 100 .NET Agents
400 Java / 250 .NET Agents
1) Required memory for the Collector. If there are other processes running, then additional heap is required.
2) No virtual cores (Hyper-Threading).
3) Small = Default shipped Collector size
- Windows: x86/x64 10/8.1/8/7/Vista or Server 2008/2012 with latest service pack (certified)
- Linux: SUSE / RedHat Linux with GTK (certified)
As of 6.0 there is a 64 bit Client, so the 64 bit full install packages contain a Client.
The Linux Client package
dynatrace-client-<version>-x86.jarcontains both bitnesses and requires a JRE 1.6 or later for installation. (A private JRE 1.7 for runtime is included!)
Mac: OS X 10.7+ 64bit (supported)
- 100MB disk space
- 1GB memory
- Minimum screen resolution: 1024x768px
- The Dynatrace Java Webstart Client can be started with any Webstart compatible browser.
- Internet Explorer 8/9/10/11 and Firefox 31-44 are certified by Dynatrace.
- The Java Webstart Client requires a Oracle JRE >= 1.8.0_45.
Dynatrace Web is built for viewing on tablet devices and desktop machines that have a minimum browser resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels (e.g. iPad mini physical resolution 2048 x 1536 vs. browser resolution 1024 x 768). More details for your device can be found here.
For the best experience use the latest version of a tested browser: Internet Explorer 11, Edge, Firefox 35+, Chrome 35+, Safari 8+
Older versions of Firefox, Chrome and Safari will display Dynatrace Web, however, some features may not appear optimally.
Because the PurePath drilldown from Dynatrace Web to the Dynatrace Client is Java Webstart-based, this feature is not supported on devices running OS X. See the Dynatrace Client requirements for more details.
Dynatrace Performance Warehouse
The Dynatrace Performance Warehouse uses a relational database to store long-term historical data. By default, Dynatrace installs and uses an embedded database for demo/testing purposes. Any production installation of Dynatrace must use one of the following database management systems with the specified version:
- Oracle 10g/11g/12c
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008/2012/2014
- IBM DB2 Version 9.7/9.8/10.1/10.5
- PostgreSQL 9.1/9.2/9.3/9.4/9.5
Note: Dynatrace supports partitioned tables for high-load scenarios for all supported databases. For all Dynatrace installations greater than Large, a partitioned database is mandatory. You can find more details in Performance Warehouse Partitioning for Dynatrace.
To determine disk-space requirements for the Dynatrace repository upfront, factor 15GB per 1,000 persistent measures (of all system profiles within the Dynatrace repository). You can find more details in the Deployment Guide.
Dynatrace zRemote Agent
The Dynatrace zRemote Agent is supported on the following operating systems:
- Windows x64 2008 R2 / 2012 R2
- Linux x64
Application Environments and Technologies
Supported Java Virtual Machines1
Oracle (Sun) JVM
6.0/6.1 5 64bit
5.0, 1.4.2 32bit
1) Only bytecode created by the Java Programming Language Compilers ( javac ) from supported JVM vendors
2) These 64bit 1.4.2 JVMs are not supported by dynaTrace
3) x86 and x64 architecture
4) PPC 32 and 64 bit
5) Only SAP Java Server VM 6.1.038 1.6-b04 on Windows and SAP Java Server VM 6.1.018 / 6.1.034 19.1-b02 on Linux
Supported .NET Platforms
Supported Web Servers for UEM
Apache Web Server
IBM HTTP Server (IHS) 6, 7, 8, 8.5
Oracle Http Server 102, 11, 12
Solaris 10+ SPARC
AIX 6.1, 7.1
1) Includes support for PHP 5.2 (Linux only), 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5
2) Underlying Apache must be version 2 or later.
3) The Nginx agent is only available for builds where the debug symbols are available.
4) Apache 2.2 only.
Supported Nginx Versions
Version 1.4.7 or later.
The Nginx Agent is only available for Linux builds where the debug symbols are available.
Supported PHP Versions
1) mod_php (for Apache Web Server 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4) and PHP CGI (for IIS 7 - 8.5)
2) PHP FPM (fast process manager; for Nginx)
3) Due to technical reasons in instrumentation MySQLi not supported on this version
4) PHP threaded MPM is not supported as it is not production setup safe. (reason: PHP_TS)
Supported Node.js Environments
1) Can be instrumented but is considered as an unstable / development version not meant for production.
2) >= Dynatrace AppMon 6.3.3 only
- http, https, Connect, Express, Restify, Errors
Supported Xcode VersionsThe Xcode plugin supports the following versions:
- Xcode 5
- Xcode 6
- Xcode 7.0 - 7.2
Other Supported Application Environments and Technologies
Servlet Containers & Application Servers
Databases, Connection Pools, and BigData Solutions
For DB Agents go to Dynatrace Agent section
Platforms and Operating Systems1
J2EE (>=1.4) Compliant App Servers:
C Wild Fly 8
1 ) only IBM JVM 7.0 on Windows & Linux
NoSQL & BigData Solutions:
1 ) JDBC Type4 drivers only
C Windows 2 10/8.1/8/7/Vista
C Suse Linux Enterprise Server 2 10/11/12
C AIX 3 6.1/7.1/7.2
C Solaris 2, 4 10/11/11.1/11.2/11.3
C IBM zOS 5 1.13/2.1/2.2
C z/Linux 6 SLES 10/11/12
C HP-UX 7 11.23+
1) On latest patch/service pack level
ESBs and SOA
C IBM WebSphere Message Broker 7 1 /8 2
1 ) On Windows & Linux 64bit
|C RMI / IIOP |
C RMI / JRMP
C RMI / T3
C .NET Remoting
C ORMI (OC4J 10g R3)
C JBoss Remoting
C HTTP Remoting
C JMS 1.1/2.01
1 ) On Glassfish 4 and WildFly 8
Web Service Stacks1
AJAX Frameworks for UEM
C IBM WebSphere 5.1/6/6.1/7/8
1) Deployed in a supported servlet container or application server
1) Java only, no Scala support, no UEM support
S dojo: 1.6.1 – 1.10.41
The following frameworks are covered with the basic XHR detection:
The following frameworks are covered with the jQuery sensor:
2) In certain cases the JS agent does not capture the correct end time for extjs 6 user actions if the promise API is used.
3) requires AppMon 6.3.19 or higher
Browser Support for UEM
Browser Diagnostics (with plugin)
OS for Mobile ADK
W3C Resource Timing Support:
1) only load actions, no special frameworks
S Firefox 17-35
C Apple iOS 6 - 8
Hybrid App Frameworks
C z/OS 2.1 / 2.2
Releases that are expected to work but are no longer supported by IBM
L z/OS 1.12
1) EXCI and IPIC protocols (TCPIP and SNA protocols not supported)
Introducing a new support policy
A new and predictable End of Life policy was introduced with version 6.2 to better facilitate planning for updates and migrations.
End of Life dates are now announced together with release dates. New versions are fully supported for at least 18 months and support for critical production issues is provided for an additional 6 months (premium support required). This policy applies to Dynatrace AppMon & UEM 6.2+. Previous versions remain on the former policy!
Support level and End of Life overview 6.2 and higher
|2018 October (7.2)||October 8, 2018||April 30, 2020||October 31, 2020|
|2018 April (7.1)||April 3, 2018||October 31, 2019||April 30, 2020|
|2017 May (7)||May 31, 2017||November 30th, 2018|
Jun 1st, 2019
|6.5||September 26, 2016||June 30, 2018||September 30, 2018|
|6.3||February 29, 2016||August 31, 2017||February 28, 2018|
|6.2||June 29, 2015||December 31, 2016||June 30, 2017|
*) Premium support required (severe production problems of monitored applications only)
Support level and End of Life overview 6.1 and lower
End of Life
|6.1||December 9, 2014||February 28, 2017|
|6||July 17, 2014||October 31, 2015|
|5.6||January 15, 2014||June 1, 2017|
|5.5 and earlier|
Platform Support Changes
The Dynatrace 6.3 release discontinues support for the following platforms and components:
- Dynatrace Development Team Edition (please contact your sales representative for conversion options)
- Windows Server 2003 (EoL by Microsoft July 14, 2015)
- Suse Linux Enterprise Server 8/9 (EoL by Suse)
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.5 (EoL by RedHat Nov 30, 2015)
- WebSphere Application Server 6.1 (EoL by IBM Sep 30, 2013)
- Legacy REST interfaces for test automation (for details, see Deprecated Interfaces)
- PHP 64bit on Windows (runtime is only available in an "experimental" release: http://windows.php.net/download/#x64)
- Thread safe PHP runtimes (not considered stable by the PHP team: http://php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2)
- IBM CICS Transaction Gateway 7.2 (EoL by IBM Sep 30, 2013)
- IBM WebSphere Message Broker and Integration Bus 32bit
- Oracle Database 9i/10g (EoL by Oracle Jul 2013)
- Oracle WebLogic 9.x (EoL by Oracle Nov 2013)
- Apache Hadoop and HBase
With the next Dynatrace release (planned for fall 2016), support for the following platforms will be discontinued:
Dynatrace Bootstrap agents < version 6
The bootstrap agent was designed to allow easy upgrades of Dynatrace agent code by simply applying an update to the Dynatrace server and restarting the targeted Dynatrace agent’s application process that the agent is injected into. Before version 6.x the bootstrap agent was mainly untouched. However due to customer suggestions to further enhance the bootstrap agent functionality, improvements were added to the 6 & 6.3 base (bootstrap) agent to enhance the ability of upgrading agents injected into applications with the Controlled Rollout feature.
Dynatrace Browser Agents for Firefox and Internet Explorer
- Dynatrace Client 32bit (memory restrictions)
- Dynatrace Server 32bit (memory restrictions)
- Dynatrace Client on Mac OS X 10.7 (EoL by Apple Sep 29,2014)
- For all Dynatrace components: LZO (Lempel–Ziv–Oberhumer) compression
- Hadoop and HBase sensors, features and dashboards are removed (e.g. Hadoop Jobs Overview)
- .NET 2.0 (EoL by Microsoft Apr 12, 2016)
- .NET 3.0 (EoL by Microsoft Jul 12, 2011)
- HP-UX IA64 (no hardware available by HP)
- Java Virtual Machine 1.4.2 (all vendors, EoL by Oracle Oct 30, 2008)
Java Virtual Machine 5 (all vendors, EoL by Oracle May 31, 2015)
- Internet Explorer 7 (EoL by Microsoft Jan 12, 2016)
- Limited support for IE9, 10 (e.g., Impact Resource Timings will be removed, only basic metrics available)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (EoL by Microsoft Apr 12, 2016)
- JBoss 5.x (EoL by Red Hat Nov, 2016)
- PHP 5.2 (EoL by PHP Dec 16,2010)