Information:

Environment

Synthetic Mobile tests when configured with a peer population of a carrier (not a baseline - i.e. "CA - Toronto - Baseline) uses DNS services upstream from the mobile station to resolve hostnames found in your HTTP requests. Take the case of a mobile station under the AT&T's Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM) network - here the General Packet Radio Services (GPRS) core network allows mobile stations to transmit IP packets to external networks such as the Internet. It is under the GPRS core network where the DNS services are performed.

• Synthetic Monitoring Mobile

Symptoms

So what if I am experiencing DNS lookup failures under my Synthetic Mobile tests?

Solution

1. GPN Portal provides service notifications, which may account for a maintenance window for a mobile peer.
  2. Gomez Client Services can check where a mobile outages occurred through our Network Management Center, which could account for the test failure.
  3. Waterfall charts can provide DNS lookup time value which implies the DNS request has been made and upstream from the mobile station

That have been said, if there were not mobile outages identified from Client Services or reported in the GPN Portal, and the DNS request was made the issue is upstream from Gomez and outside our scope of control and means to further investigate the failure.

Root Cause

Icon

• No labels