The dynaTrace FastPack for the Microsoft SharePoint (both Windows SharePoint Services and Microsoft Office Share Server) enables faster analysis of SharePoint Applications by providing specific Sensor Packs and Dashboards to identify problems in custom WebParts, SharePoint Lists & Views, usage of CAML, ...
SharePoint FastPack for dynaTrace 4.x
We will update this section with a new FastPack version suited for dynaTrace 4.x. In the meantime we recommend the following when working with SharePoint on dynaTrace 4.x:
- Create a new System Profile for your SharePoint Instance
- Place the "ASP.NET Events" Sensor Pack for your Agent Group - that will give you extra visibility into your WebParts
- Enable "ASP.NET MVC Support" as described in the following Tip: Tip - Getting Visibility into ASP.NET Modules and Handlers
- Import the SharePoint.SensorPack that is part of the SharePoint FastPack package
- Check out our recorded webinar: dynaTrace in .NET Environments
Microsoft SharePoint FastPack
SharePoint Operations Dashboard
The Operations Dashboard visualizes Windows Performance Counters of the SharePoint Frontend Server. The dashboard shows live and historical data about
- Memory usage
- Garbage Collection
- ASP.NET Web Request
It also gives a usage overview of SharePoint Pages and Lists to identify the top most used and slowest resources in your SharePoint Installation.
SharePoint Architect Dashboard
The Architect Dashboard helps the SharePoint Administrator and Software Architect to identify problems in the areas of
- Memory usage
- WebPart Usage
- SharePoint Content Database Access (SQL Access)
This dashboard visualizes which WebParts contribute the most to the overall performance, which data is retrieved from the Content Database or external database and highlights exceptions that may or may not be handled by your custom or 3rd party code.
SharePoint Monitoring Dashboard
The Monitoring Dashboard gives insight into end user response times and usage of
- SharePoint Lists
- SharePoint Views
- CAML Queries
This dashboard visualizes the End-User Response times of a Web Transaction Monitor (WTM) that comes with the FastPack. This WTM monitors the standard SharePoint pages such as Documents, Calendar and Users.
SharePoint Memory Dashboard
The Memory Dashboard provides the entry point for SharePoint specific Memory Analysis. The FastPack is configured to selectively monitor the critical SharePoint classes SPSite and SPWeb. Use this dashboard to identify Memory Leaks caused by references to these objects that were not disposed.
Check out the Video Tutorial for SharePoint. It explains how to install and use the Package. It also highlights use cases about how to analyze certain problems within SharePoint
On the Dynatrace Blog the following posts give a good overview of the FastPack and give additional hints about problematic areas in SharePoint applications:
The Download Package includes everything you need to manage SharePoint Applications:
- Pre-Configured System Profile SharePoint
- 4 Dashboards for Operations, Architects, Usage Monitoring and Memory Analysis
- Knowledge Sensor Packs for SharePoint and ASP.NET
- Sample dynaTrace Sessions
- Save the attached file locally to the computer where the Dynatrace Client is installed.
- Unzip the file.
- Copy the Dashboards into your Dynatrace Server conf\dashboards installation directory
- Import the Sensor Packs to your Dynatrace Server
- Import the System Profile