cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are other monitoring tool Events integration possible with Dynatrace for Incident Correlation?

thanes_bala
Participant

We are trying to leverage DT AI engine event correlation capability as central point for many of other monitoring tools such as; SevONE, SCOM, NetCool, ICINGA, OEM ETC

Does DT have integration mechanism for these tools to collect metrics/events so they can be used by DT AI engine for problem identification, RCA, event correlation ETC?

5 REPLIES 5

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

No. Not at the moment. Albeit this is technically possible. it basically boils down to properly sending events to correct entities in Dynatrace and of a correct type. This sounds easy, but each monitoring tool has different concepts and entity types. Proper event integration between any monitoring tools is almost always a pain.

However, ingesting just a subset of clearly defined events seems possible, although I'm not sure if there is any benefit. Events in Dynatrace must be sent to an existing entity (Application/Service/Process/Host/...) and you can't create entities of those types (just custom devices). Also, I don't think it makes sense to run multiple monitoring tools on the same hosts and do an event integration. I'd consider a replacement of those legacy tools where Dynatrace is already in place.

Don't forget this event ingestion works only with AI2.0 which is not the default yet.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

wolfgang_beer
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

As Julius already mentioned, you can send in events to existing entities, such as host, services, etc. The mapping to an existing host should be pretty easy, while for the mapping onto a service you most likely will use a tag based approach.

The idea behind sending external events into Dynatrace is to provide some additional context information or more root cause info.

I agree that it does not make much sense to send in additional metrics or events that Dynatrace already collects and alerts on anyway.

Best greetings,

Wolfgang

ArunM
Newcomer

Hello Thanes_bala, were you able to achieve your use case in DT ?

Hi @Julius_Loman ,

Now we are also Planning Same here, We need ingest all 3rd party tool to Dynatrace As Part AI, And Now we are moved to AI 2.0 and Extensions 2.0 also, Could you Please way to here to Push events to Dynatrace.

Regards,

Venkat

@VenkataSainath for Event ingestion you can use the Events API 1.0 or Extensions 1.0. The challenges are:

• mapping the events to corresponding entities within Dynatrace as each event must have an Entity within Dynatrace
  • event lifecycle - typically event management tools or other monitoring solutions have the concept for Failure/Resolution. Dynatrace does have not. So you need to resend the event to keep the failure status opened on the Dynatrace side. 

We use a combination of the Dynatrace API and Extensions 1.0. I think with Events API 2.0 this will likely be improved, but the option for sending events is not (yet) available.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Featured Posts