cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I have a problem opened for shutdown of Azure VM?

The_AM
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

I have two hosts. One on VMware, another on Azure VM.

If I have my environment set to "alert on graceful host shutdown", then stopping the VM on VMware will cause a problem to be opened.

The_AM_1-1621995063247.png

If I stop the VM in Azure Portal, no alert is created. Only the message OneAgent stopped for 2 minutes appears in the host view.

The_AM_0-1621994972355.png

Why is this? I need to see problem generated for Azure VM being shutdown, regardless if graceful or not.

Regards,
Andrew M.
5 REPLIES 5

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

make sure the detection settings are the same for each hosts. Sometimes these are also set at the HG level or the Global Level. We are always alerted when a host gets shutdown. Also there might be a bit of a delay, even after 5 mins you don't get an alert? Is an alert raised in the UI? 

-Chad

The_AM
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi @ChadTurner , settings were correct, and it wasn't missed due to delay.

There's an explanation that actually Azure VMs will stop the OneAgent service before the OS shutdown signal could be caught and sent by OneAgent. Therefore, this just looks like an agent shutdown only to Dynatrace and it does nothing with those events.

I'd prefer if Dynatrace treated agent service shutdowns as "monitoring unavailable" events.

Regards,
Andrew M.

You might need to put in a RFE for that then so Dynatrace can see about building in functionality for your request. 

-Chad

The_AM
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

There is an events API that allows you to 'mark for termination' an instance. So that could be utilised, but I have not so far attempted to build this solution.

Links:

Regards,
Andrew M.

sergei_bondar
Newcomer

Hello, I have the same problems with Azure VM. Have anybody managed to solve it?

Featured Posts