Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Management zones: Alerting + technology view

silvia_moreno_u
Advisor

Hi,

My customer asked a couple of questions related to management zones:

- Is it possible to have alerts specific to managed zone? I believe the answer is no, but I would like to know if its in the roadmap. I can explain my customer's the use case if needed. So far I suggested if Host Groups (beta) would address their needs.

- In the technology view we only see the process group that belongs to the selected Management Zone, but when clicking one the Instance count includes processes outside of the zone. Is this expected behavior? If so, what's the reason behind it?

Thank you for your time

Regards,

Silvia Moreno

4 REPLIES 4

Julius_Loman
Leader

Which version are you running? There were multiple issues with managed zones in 138 and 140.

kristof_renders
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Silvia,

- Would alerting profiles work? Their scope can be set to the same as a MZ.

- AFAIK only process groups can be added to a MZ, not individual processes (like with tags). So in that case, I am not entirely sure about what is meant with "the process group contains processes outside of the zone". Can you please elaborate a bit on that?

Cheers,
Kristof

silvia_moreno_u
Advisor

Hi! I am running 138.

- Alerting profiles would help but not 100%. In this particular case they want to alert if the number of processes in a deployment falls below a threshold, but ignore processes from another deployment for this count. As you are saying, if only process groups are added to MZ, then having 2 host groups would help, as we would have 2 process groups (one per MZ) with different settings.

- Yes, I did not realized that, you are right. I will clarify it with the customer, thank you very much!

Thanks,

Silvia

silvia_moreno_u
Advisor

Update: Hosts groups are not an option, because they do not want to set them on installation time. @Kristof R. can you think of any other way to implement this use case? Get alerted for some processes in a process group but not for others. Of course in the meantime I will try to talk them into using host groups. Thanks!