cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metric event alerting

Akos
Participant

Hey,

Help me out with a metric event alert please, it's a simple count metric, but I'm getting frustrated about it.

I'm trying on Settings/Anomaly detection/Metric events

I want to enable an alert via mail if, in a 6-minute period, the incoming data is more than 20 for 2 minutes, but if the data is below 20 again after the alert, for 2 minutes, then another email will come saying that the problem is solved.

My problem is I tried everything: Treshold, Violating samples, sliding samples, dealerting samples, it's just not giving me the correct behavior.

4 REPLIES 4

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi, @Akos 

First of, the minimum sample value for de-alerting is 3, so you can trigger an alert when count is higher than 20 for 2 min in 6, but the problem solving will be set if lower than 20 for 3 min in 6.

Example:

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 10.03.21.png

For this example I am using the builtin metric for service request count, and filtering for one single service. So the data is coming every 1 minute. The calls to my service is being getting every one minute.

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 10.05.05.png

You should take the metric type in consideration too. This builtin metric already aggregate the data as count, so this makes the thing easy.

Can you share with us the metric you are using?

Then, you can just create an alerting profile that filter for this metric event name to use it in the email problem notification.

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

Akos
Participant

Hey, @dannemca 

Ye its worked, i did the same way before, as in your screen, the problem was the "Alert on missing data" slide was on.

Thank you

Let me ask here another of the almost same problem. In this case i should get a warning when for 2 minutes there is no data on a 5 minute period. What im missing here?

Attached screen

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

The alerting on missing data, by default, will alert you when no data is seen in previous minute, it does not follow the sampling information you set for threshold validation.

I have recorded a solution for this in our Dynatrace Tips & Trics first session, https://youtu.be/Yg3fV63hZEk?t=540

Check this out and let me know if it works. In your case, you can try the rollup transformation for this case.

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl
In our first #Dynatrace Community Practice session we have Danne Aguiar, SRE at Kyndryl, showing us his tips and tricks on the following: App Detection: Proper Dynatrace Real User Monitoring App Detection URLs Alert on Missing Data: Alert when your monitoring is not working as expected Custom ...

Hey dannemca

This rollup fuction looks good, i try it next week.

Really good video btw

Thank you

Akos

Featured Posts