cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oneagent for Solaris OS

ssamraj
Helper

Hi Team,

As per https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/setup-and-configuration/dynatrace-oneagent/installation-and-o... 

infrastructure monitoring mode isn't supported on Solaris OS. Does it mean it can support full stack mode?

Can this be clarified, please?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hello @ssamraj 

No. It's a PaaS agent only.

Regards,

Babar

Thanks for your response @Babar_Qayyum . I'm new to DT hence this ask, can I presume in this case that DT one agent in both infra and full stack mode isn't compatible for Solaris hosts.

May I know what is PaaS agent?

You can't monitor a Solaris host in infra-only mode. However if you implement deep monitoring for at least 1 Java process, you will actually also see the host's infra metrics for CPU, memory, NIC and disk. So it's indeed the not the same full-stack agent you have for Linux, AIX and Windows. But you do get some visibility to the infrastructure side as well. One notable difference is for example that when you list processes on a Solaris host, you'll only see the ones you have deep monitoring enabled for. All the rest is bundled under "Other processes".

Thank you @kalle_lahtinen . At this point of time, we're interested to monitor basic OS metrics (disk, swap, CPU, process miss) something similar to infra level nothing related to apps in Solaris servers.

Whilst installing Oneagent on solaris, if I go with below setting, would I be able to still get necessary OS metrics I'm looking for?

--set-infra-only=false 

For Solaris, you cannot see just the infra. Even if you're not interested in monitoring the app, you have to monitor it in order to see the infra metrics. This will consume host unit licenses like any full-stack monitoring.

As for the installation parameter you suggested - no, that cannot be used with Solaris, because for that OS you're not actually installing the agent. You're just unzipping the agent files to a certain directory, and then editing the application's startup scripts to point to those libraries. Solaris doesn't have OneAgent available the same way it is for Linux, AIX and Windows. But you can still get useful data out of Solaris, for sure. Your use case, which is to just monitor the Solaris infra, is not really the optimal scenario though...

Featured Posts