cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

func:<metrics> does not show in any metric category for custom event for alerting

jun_phoon
Participant

Hi, 

I have created a func: metric with attributes but I am unable to see in the "Category" and "Metric" dropdown tables when creating a custom event for alerting

jun_phoon_0-1653437472850.png

I can choose the primary entity for the alert

jun_phoon_2-1653437660302.png

I can use it in the "code" section but am unable to use the attributes of the func:<> metric in the alert body, only  some generic attributes are provided.

jun_phoon_1-1653437625048.png

I would expect the attributes of the metric or entity to be available to use in the message - why is this not working?

8 REPLIES 8

Malaik
Champion

Hi @jun_phoon 

The placeholders that you can use are in the body message are predefined and you cannot add your own ones.

The development team are continually working to add more based on the users needs, but you cannot add by your self.

Just for a recall, here is list containing the available placeholders:

{ImpactedEntities}: Details about the entities impacted by the problem in form of a json array.

{ImpactedEntity}: A short description of the problem and impacted entity (or multiple impacted entities).

{ImpactedEntityNames}: The entity impacted by the problem (or multiple impacted entities).

{PID}: Unique system identifier of the reported problem.

{ProblemDetailsHTML}: All problem event details including root cause as an HTML-formatted string.

{ProblemDetailsJSONv2}: Problem as json object following the structure from the Dynatrace Problems V2 API. The optional fields evidenceDetails and impactAnalysis are included, but recentComments is not.

{ProblemDetailsJSON}: Problem as json object following the structure from the Dynatrace Problems V1 API.

{ProblemDetailsMarkdown}: All problem event details including root cause as a Markdown-formatted string.

{ProblemDetailsText}: All problem event details including root cause as a text-formatted string.

{ProblemID}: Display number of the reported problem.

{ProblemImpact}: Impact level of the problem. Possible values are APPLICATION, SERVICE, or INFRASTRUCTURE.

{ProblemSeverity}: Severity level of the problem. Possible values are AVAILABILITY, ERROR, PERFORMANCE, RESOURCE_CONTENTION, or CUSTOM_ALERT.

{ProblemTitle}: Short description of the problem.

{ProblemURL}: URL of the problem within Dynatrace.

{State}: Problem state. Possible values are OPEN or RESOLVED.

{Tags}: Comma separated list of tags that are defined for all impacted entities. To refer to the value of a specific tag, specify the tag's key in square brackets: {Tags[key]}. If the tag does not have any assigned value, the placeholder will be replaced by an empty string. The placeholder will not be replaced if the tag key does not exist.

Sharing Knowledge

HI Malaik, 

Thanks for the reply

That is not the section im referring to.

You are referring to the placeholders available in the body when you setup PROBLEM

INTEGRATION

Im referring to placeholders when setting up a CUSTOM ALERT FOR ALERTING.

•  For a metric that can be chosen in dropdown list 
    • The Placeholders to construct message body inlcudes the metric attributes
  • For a metric that cannot be seen in the dropdown list (for some reason func:metrics does not show)
    • The placeholders to construct message body is not able to include the attributes of the func:metric.

As a minimum all metrics that can ben seen in the metrics explorer ought to have their attributes available for place holders when contstructing an Alert.

Hi

You Mean custom EVENT for alerting.

But eh placeholders are the same.

Sharing Knowledge

Hi @Malaik 

Oh yep, thanks for correcting my syntax -   that's what i meant CUSTOM EVENTS FOR ALERTING.

The placeholders  for setting up a PROBLEM NOTIFICATION  are not the same in my experience of setting up a  CUSTOM EVENTS FOR ALERTING

For a  typical host metric

jun_phoon_2-1655422403741.png

You can use the dimensions of the metrics in the message body

jun_phoon_1-1655422384142.png

My original query is

why can't the dimension in a func:metric be used as a placeholder in the message body for a CUSTOM EVENTS FOR ALERTING?  Can it be?

techean
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

placeholders are limited . Check this RFE added few additional place holder (device : {dims:device} host ID: {dims:dt.entity.host} host name: {dims:host.name} dimensions: {dims}). You can raise RFE for your requirement too.

KG

techean
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

@jun_phoon  did this  RFE mentioned above helped?

KG

Hi, 

Regarding that RFE  link about being able to use dimensions as placeholders - Yes that's relevant to this thread.

To put it simply -currently:

• It doesnt work for func: metrics. 
  • It  works for custom metrics  and default metrics 

I saw the below in this roadmap post

• Does that relate to this issue?

jun_phoon_0-1655940280202.png

techean
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

yes it does !

KG

Featured Posts