cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Abandonment Time

Kodai_Ishikawa
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi all,

Is it possible to display abandonment time in AppMon? In other words, the time from when a user navigates to a page and abandons a page by navigating to another link or closing the browser of an incomplete request. My client is looking to see the average time of a user abandoning a page to see how that may relate to application performance and the content being delivered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kodai

4 REPLIES 4

felipe_estrella
Inactive

Hello Kodai,

Go to your system profile -> User Experience, and under Visits tag edit "Visit ends after user has been inactive for:". Basically if your customer doesn't make any actions at the last x times, chosen by you, it will be considered a visit.

If the customer closes the browser, it will be considered a visit as well.

Regards,

Felipe

Hi Felipe,

Thank you for the reply. I apologize for not being specific, we're specifically looking at abandonment time at the User Action level, not the Visit level.

Regards,

Kodai

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

I dont think this is possible right now as we are currently not tracking when a user leaves your application by closing the browser or clicking on a link that gets them to an external site.

the only option i see right now is by using the JavaScript ADK which allows you to detect the abandonment time on your own and then report it to dynatrace

gernot_raudner
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

if i understand it correctly, there are requirements specific to browser implementation that are not met on any browser for us to implement this feature. there is no possibility to find out how a page has been left (regarding browser window closing or navigation). if the browser window closes, the browser aborts everything that's currently running, so we have no chance of doing anything at this time. we would have to send a beacon after the browser is already closed, this would require either a host agent on that device or some kind of browser plugin.

for page navigation, something similar applies. as soon as a link is clicked, unload events are thrown and the agent is clearing up things, stores values needed on the next page, and sometimes sends one last beacon to get out any remaining information. if a user clicks another time, we'd send the remaining data with updated values again, which would lead to "duplicates" on the dtclient. however, what we COULD do would be, to measure the time between multiple unload events and try to report this. however, an unload event is also called if a download is triggered via click, etc.

bottom line: there's simply no possibility to track closing browsers since the browsers do not implement such things. however, it might be possible to capture times between unload events, but we never can say for certain that an unload has been triggered due to a click on a download link, or an actual redirect that was aborted. thus, i don't think we have any chance to do anything here.