cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add disparate measures to a business transaction?

marklawford
Participant

We've been asked to create a report scheduled out of Dynatrace.

Our approach is to define a business transaction and then add that to a business transaction hotspot dashlet configured with the desired timeframe (yesterday) and then schedule the extract as .csv to be emailed out.

We're happy with that.

But the measures we need are the average response times of a number of different service calls and/or processes. We have existing measures for those and we just want to add those as "fields" (results) of a new business transaction.

How do I add those different measures into a common business transaction? When I do so, they all appear to be blank/empty. I'm guessing that's because of some filtering rules that I need to add/create or because the measure themselves are imposing mutually-exclusive filtering rules.

6 REPLIES 6

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

It's hard to tell what configuration you are describing for what you currently have in place, could you provide a screen capture of that configuration?

I'm thinking what you would want is a filter measure for each of the calls you are interested in and then a splitting on the complete URL or something like that.

James

Hello Mark,

Situation

You have X monitored applications. For each of them there exists a business transaction with calculate measures (let say only the response time) and no split value (as you want the average of all the calls). For each BT you created a hotspot dashboard. For each dashboard eventually a task will export an exel file. In the end you will have X exel files with a numeric value (the response time)

Your goal

One BT which covers all the monitored applications. Only one exel file, containing the overall average response time, would be exported.

Is above correct?

Questions

Which type measure filters do you use into your different business transactions?

(Uri pattern value to filter on url's, method arguments, ...) May be you can add some printscreens.

My opinion

You can create one BT and define a combined filter measure. Just use all your existing filter measures and combine them with the 'or' logic. Just tried it and it seems to work here.

Regards

Thanks. I'll give that "or" logic another pass. I had done it, but perhaps I needed to give that more time to pick up the appropriate results.

Had a further look at this and the distinct BTs have their own "this AND that" filters. So stringing together the filters with an OR condition isn't going to work in this case.

I just need to find a way to access the various response times defined in those other BTs into a single .csv export.

Still looking...

graeme_william1
Inactive

Mark,

Let me make a few things clear about BTs and filters. I'm going to refer to PurePaths and PP BTs, but the same key points apply to User Action BTs and Visit BTs as well.

The filtering in a BT defines a bucket of PPs.

A PP will be tossed out of the bucket if a filter measure is not met or is undefined.

A PP will be tossed out of the bucket if a SPLITTING measure is undefined.

The PP will stay in the bucket even if a result measure is undefined.

You can have any number of result measures in a BT, and some of them might be undefined for some PPs and not others. To take a simple example, suppose you have a result measure measureA which pulls the first argument out of a method A and a result measure measureB which pulls the first argument out of method B. It makes sense that measureA will be undefined if method A is not defined and similarly for measureB.

If you chart the values of the result measure measureA, there will be gaps for any period where the measure is never defined. That is, if your chart has a resolution of 5 minutes, the chart will have a gap (no data) if there was no PP in a given 5-minute period that called method A. Similarly for measureB.

If you chart measureA and measureB on the same chart, the gaps in the measures won't necessarily line up.

There's also some complexity in the counts you see in various places, but this response is already too long.

As usual, James is quite right: it would be good to see a screenshot of the BT and some details of what you are trying to achieve. It's not clear to me whether you need a single BT with multiple result measures, or multiple BTs with separate filters. Or maybe you don't need BTs at all and multiple measures will give you what you need.

-- Graeme

marklawford
Participant

Thanks Graeme. I've recreated the business transaction and I can see some of the data coming through. New measures added to the transaction don't appear to be pulling the associated data through.

I'll come back to it later, but I think it's there or thereabouts now.

Cheers,

Mark