cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Add one additional collector

anoh_brou2
Inactive

collector.txt

Hello,

What is an easy way to add one more collector?  Please find attached my current collector.config file.

Regards,

Anoh

8 REPLIES 8

mikael_bendtsen
Organizer

Hello Anoh,

More specifically, what are you trying to achieve? Adding a collector is easy, just install the collector software on the machine where you want it to run and then reconfigure your agents to talk to that collector instead of the original one.

If you are running a Java based web application, you need to change the arguments given to the JVM at startup where the dynaTrace collector server name is part of the connection string. The method is similar for .NET (CLR) based applications.

Cheers

Micke

Good morning Mikael,

Thank you for responding to my question.  I already have a .NET collector.  I want to add one more collector because we have increased the number of transactions.  I was wondering if it could be added via the dT client or in the collector.config file.

Regards,

Anoh

Hi Anoh,

Sorry I completely misunderstood your question. For some reason I interpreted your query as you wanted to replace an existing collector with a collector on another machine. I fully agree with Graeme Williams below on how to add a collector on a system where the collector software is installed already.

My apologies.

Cheers

Micke

That's ok Micke!

graeme_william1
Inactive

If you're running a collector on a Windows system, you can start a second collector on the same system with:

dtcollector -service install -instance MyCollector -listen :9997 -server mydynatraceserver
sc start "dynaTrace Collector 6.1.0 (MyCollector)"

This (and what to do for Linux) is documented at:  Collector Configuration.

If your load has increased significantly since your initial installation, it's probably worthwhile going through the: Deployment Guide  to check to see if other components of your Dynatrace installation need upgrading – and to verify that you really need that second Collector.

-- Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Now that I have the additional collector, how do I move some of the .NET agents to the new collector?

Regards,

Anoh

graeme_william1
Inactive

Anoh,

Run the Agent Configuration for .NET tool on the systems running the agents you want to move and open up (i.e., edit) the agent rules for the agents you want to move.

Change the port number to the one the new collector is running on.

Note that this will not change the web server agent.  To move an IIS agent, you'll need to edit the port number in dtwsagent.ini (which can be found in agent/conf).

You'll then need to do an IISRESET for the setting to take effect.

Also, now that you have two collectors, you may want to consider putting them in a collector group so agents can failover from one to the other:    Collectors

-- Graeme

Thank you Graeme!