cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent Configuration for DT 6.2

aleksandr_arbit
Newcomer

I installed 6.2 App Server Java agent for Windows and I can see it through the DT Client however I cant see any transaction flows ( I did start the application under test too). What could be the reason?

14 REPLIES 14

jason_ostroski
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Aleksandr,

There could be quite a few reasons why the transaction flow does not show for the agent. (no transactions, sensor placement etc.)

In the agent overview, there should be a column to the far right for PurePath Count. Could you check this column for the agent in question?

The PurePaths are the end to end transactions in AppMon and if there are no transactions getting picked up by the agent, this number will be zero and it will not show in the transaction flow. If this is the case, I would first check if there are requests being sent to this JVM.

Also, did you utilize the add tier wizard (right click on system profile- Add Tier) for the agent group this JVM maps to? This is the easiest way to make sure the correct default sensors are placed on the java agent.

Hope this helps,

Jason

alexander_arbit
Newcomer

Thank you Jason, PurePath shows 0 while loaded classes shows 13. I did do the agent mapping in system profile. Do I need to configure anything on App Server side in addition to installing agent and choosing Java process I want to monitor.

david_n
Inactive

Have you recycled the JVM since you first installed the agent on your server? When the agent is first connected, Dynatrace requires what is called a discovery run to place all the sensors and basically map out your application.

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DOCDT62/Discovery+Run

Try restarting your server and see if that resolves your issues.

Thanks,
David Nicholls

alexander_arbit
Newcomer

hi David - I restarted the entire Win 2012 server. I guess part of the issue is that I am trying to monitor HPE ALM server which is running on Jetty engine and I am not sure where JVM conf files are on that. so I simply installed agent on Win 2012 and choose ALM.exe process to be monitored, etc.

david_n
Inactive

Since this seems to be a non-standard instrumentation, you will most likely have to add entry point sensors so the agent knows where to start PurePaths for your application. Here are the steps you can take to configure them. System Profile -> Sensors -> Add a sensor group -> browse -> select the correct Agent Group -> find the method(s) that should start transactions in your app -> check the box next to them -> click okay. Once you apply these sensors, you will have to edit the methods and check the box to allow them to start PurePaths.

To allow these changes to stick, you will have to perform an app restart or hot sensor place the sensors while the app is still running. To do hot sensor placement, right click on the system profile and click "Hot Sensor Placement".

Thanks,

David Nicholls

alexander_arbit
Newcomer

Still even after that it is still now showing anything.

pic1.jpegpic2.jpeg

Hi Alex, I don't think that Java.lang.Object.* is best candidate to start the purepath node.

May be you need to apply some heuristics after analysing couple of CPU Sampling.

Mostly you need to focus on vendor specific API (com.company.product.*).

Regards, Rajesh.

alexander_arbit
Newcomer

I agree but it is the only thing that I see hence the issue

david_n
Inactive

Hey Aleksandr,

Are you saying that when you enter the sensor browser you don't see any application methods or that you arent sure which ones are relevant to the application? If it is the first option, we would probably have to change where the agent is instrumented, but if it the latter, then you can try this option below.

You could try setting up a CPU sample and then running through some functionality in the application. This would allow you to see more of the processes that are running on the CPU while the app is in progress. Then you should be able to go into the sensors in the system profile and add more detailed ones.

CPU Samples can be setup via the System Profile in the side panel -> diagnose runtime -> CPU sample.

Thanks,

David Nicholls

alexander_arbit
Newcomer

It is the former situation and I added sensors recommended above and still no luck

david_n
Inactive

I would open a support ticket explaining everything that you tried while instrumenting this application and they might be able to give you a better location for the instrumentation string or help you troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks,

David Nicholls

aleksandr_arbit
Newcomer

I have done the same in parallel to having this discussion 🙂

That is great. You should add the ticket number this thread so that we can see the solution as well.

Thanks,

David Nicholls

alexander_arbit
Newcomer

SUPDT-34447