cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent Instrumentation in IBM Sterling B2B Integrator?

suresh_valivar1
Newcomer

Please help me to setup agent in IBM Sterling B2B Integrator

16 REPLIES 16

rohith_samudral
Organizer

Hi, I am having a similar issue. I am trying to monitor Sterling B2B integrator with Dynatrace but i am not able to find the correct place to add my agents. I have added my agent to the startup file but that is not adding the agent to the main application JVM.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rohith

Hi Rohit,

I found something from my configuration.can you try in the below path.

sterling.png

Thanks,

Tarun

Hi Tarun,

Thanks for the reply. I am able to see the value in the screenshot in tuning.properties file. But i am not sure how to instrument my agent there. Could you please see if your agent is instrumented in the tuning.properties file and if it is could you please let me know how was it done. I would really appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks,

Rohith

Hi Rohith,

Are you able to see other properties passed in that file. How are they passed?is it JVM_ARGS_PREFIX?

Is it UNIX or windows?

Thanks,

Tarun

Hi Tarun,

Sorry for the delay in responding. It is a Linux machine.

Normally i see this:

#JVM Arguments suffix

JVM_ARGS_SUFFIX=

#JVM Arguments PREFIX

JVM_ARGS_PREFIX=

We tried the following:

1. #JVM Arguments suffix

JVM_ARGS_SUFFIX=-agentpath:<DTHOME>=name=SBIAgentName,server=<Collector>:9998

#JVM Arguments PREFIX

JVM_ARGS_PREFIX=-agentpath:<DTHOME>=name=SBIAgentName,server=<Collector>:9998

# End of file

JVM_ARGS = "-agentpath:<DTHOME>=name=SBIAgentName,server=<Collector>:9998"

$JVM_ARGS

None of them seemed to work.

Thanks,

Rohith

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Rohith,

I have no experience with Sterling B2B Integrator, but looked at this page:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SS3...

Maybe the JVM_ARGS_PREFIX, or JVM_ARGS_SUFFIX properties would work?

HTH,

dave

Thanks Dave. I will give that a try.

Hi Dave, I did try adding the agent path to the JVM_ARGS_PREFIX, and JVM_ARGS_SUFFIX. I did not seem to make a difference. When i restarted the application i did not see any agents connected.

Did you check the process and see if the argument "took" or not? Use "ps -ef" or equivalent and make sure the agentpath is there.

Hi Dave, Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, i did try "ps -ef". I do not see the agentpath on any of the active processes.

Maybe @Babar Q. can confirm if he can see the agentpath in his "ps" output. Usually, you will see the agentpath here if the argument was accepted and processed.

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello @Suresh V. and @Rohith S.,

I took the following information from our configured Sterling B2B application and I hope it should be helpful for you also:

• Add the JVM arguments on Sterling B2B application in the tuning.properties and sandbox.cfg files.
  • Also add the JVM argument in startupPs.sh script./usr/jdk/jdk1.6.0_31/jre/bin/java ${JVM_FLAGS} -agentpath:/opt/apm/dynatrace-6.2/agent/lib/libdtagent.so=name=ABC,server=XYZ:9998 -classpath /app/ABC/ps2/lib/concurrent.jar:/app/ABC/ps2/lib/perimeter.jar:/app/ABC/ps2/lib/log4j.jar com.sterlingcommerce.perimeter.external.server.Shell >${LOG_FILE} 2>&1 &

Regards,

Babar

rohith_samudral
Organizer

Hi Babar,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to make changes as per your suggestion.

I have tried adding the arguments in tuning.properties. I have tried adding them in these 4 ways (one at a time) and none of them seem to work.

1) JVM_ARGS_PREFIX="-agentpath:/opt/dynatrace/dynatrace-6.5/agent/lib64/libdtagent.so=name=SBI_Agent,server=<dynatrace collector>:<port>"

2) JVM_ARGS_SUFFIX="-agentpath:/opt/dynatrace/dynatrace-6.5/agent/lib64/libdtagent.so=name=SBI_Agent,server=<dynatrace collector>:<port>"

3) JVM_ARGS="-agentpath:/opt/dynatrace/dynatrace-6.5/agent/lib64/libdtagent.so=name=SBI_Agent,server=<dynatrace collector>:<port>"

4) JVM_FLAG="-agentpath:/opt/dynatrace/dynatrace-6.5/agent/lib64/libdtagent.so=name=SBI_Agent,server=<dynatrace collector>:<port>"

Also, i have tried adding the arguments at the end of the file when that did not work i have added it to the center of the file near the comment "#JVM Arguments PREFIX" with the same result.

After making these changes when we tried to restart the application i was seeing the following errors in the collector log file.

2017-07-25 11:40:49 WARNING [Instrumentor] Connection to 'SBI_Agent@<host>:<PID>' closed (by EOFException: null)

2017-07-25 11:40:49 WARNING [EventCollector] agent connection 'SBI_Agent@<host>:<PID>' closed (prev event: 71, current event: -1).

2017-07-25 11:40:49 WARNING [EventCollector] Connection to agent 'SBI_Agent@<host>:<PID>' closed without receiving EOF event. Some data might be missing

I have tried adding the arguments to the sandbox.cfg file (at the end of the file).

After making the changes we tried to re-deploy the application and we were getting an invalid arguments error.

Could you please let me know where i am going wrong with this configuration. Should i be adding my agentpath to JVM_ARGS or is there some other variable. Also should i be adding it to the center of the file or to the end.

I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

Rohith

Hello Rohith,

Do you have 64bit or 32bit application?

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar, Sorry for the delay in responding. It is a 64bit application.

Hello Rohith,

One of the below option should work for you.

Try it and share the result with us.

Option 1:
JVM_ARGS_PREFIX="-agentpath:/opt/apm/dynatrace-6.2/agent/lib64/libdtagent.so=name=ABC,server=XYZ:9998"

Option 2:
JVM_ARGS_PREFIX=-agentpath:/opt/apm/dynatrace-6.2/agent/lib64/libdtagent.so\=name\=ABC,server\=XYZ:9998

Regards,

Babar