Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent and Collector Communication

vsingh
Participant

hi Dynatrace Team

I am getting an exception while trying to set up DynaTrace agent on JBoss App

Below is the exception:

Exception while connecting to collector, info:<connect()/apr_socket_connect(), 730060, Connection timed out>

I am not able to ping the collector from the Application server(where dTagent is configured).

I know there is a firewall issue between agent and collector and I need to have a firewall opened for the collector port.

My question is: Is the communication between Agent and collector is two way? because that is how I will have the firewall rule set up. Or Is it only Agent that sends the data to Collector? Does Collector sends a request for data as well? please elaborate on this communication.

great thanks for your help in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Virdavinder,

The communication is from agent to collector only so you don't need to open the bidirectional.

Just open the port from agent to the collector e.g. 9998 from application to the collector IP address 0000.1111.2222.3333

Regards,

Babar

luiz_goncalves
Inactive

Hi Virdavinder,

For performance reasons, do not pass communication between the Agent and the Collector through firewalls. Place a Collector as close as possible to Agents.

Regards,
Luiz

See the following documentation on Collector Best practices

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/insta...

The agent communicates with the collector. There should be no firewall between agent and collector.