cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent installation and configuration for unkown binaries

jan_palic
Guide

Good day to you.

I have some windows application, which are unknown executables. They are unknown in this case, that I am not able to say, weather its a .NET or JAVA or anything else.
I have an EXE file which is proxying SOAP requests.

What is the right way to get an AGENT working with this application for instrumentation?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Best regards.

Jan

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Jan,

you could try the .NET Agent Configuration tool, it should list all .NET processes running on your system. Start your exe and if some process shows up there that could be your guy, it's a .net process and you can instrument it from there.

If it doesn't show up there it probably isn't .net and you could use a tool like "process explorer" to determine if a jvm runtime library (dll) is loaded into the process. If not, you can't instrument the process at all, unless you have the source code and can use an adk. If there is a jvm dll loaded, you need to find out how to pass the "agentpath" parameter to the jvm, most likely it's some properties file or a command line parameter (check the documentation of the tool you're trying to instrument). If there's a way, pass it the agentpath and it should be insturmented. If not, you're out of luck.

So, after all this, you might have a process where our agent is injected. Since it appears to be a rather uncommon SOAP handler, though, I doubt that the out-of-the-box web service sensors will work here and you'd have to do some manual instrumentation, but that would already be the second step.

An alternative would be to side-step this whole proxy and try to get the purepath connected from client to server directly; since we use the soap payload to pass along the tag, it might work. Best regards,

Peter

Hej Peter,

thank you for the reply. I found the button get non .NET processes listet in the .NET Dynatrace Agent. But the configuring does not work. The .NET Agent GUI says, that no status is available and I do not see any log.

So, I think, I will put it into a observed tier for the first step in sorting our transactions.

Thank you for you time. Your explanation helps a lot.

Best,
Jan