cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent reconnection policy

jcamps
Advisor

Hi all,

what's the reconnection policy in agents if their collector is down/unavailable for some reason? And what if both, collector and server are unavailable?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

roman_spitzbart
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi,

For the agent only the availability of the collector is relevant, if the server is unavailable the agent would still send its data to the collector normally.

If the agent got a connection to the collector during startup (it will try for up to 60s to get one) then it will try to reconnect indefinitely if the connection is lost. Reconnects will be tried every 10 seconds...

Best, Roman

Hi Roman,

Here: https://answers.dynatrace.com/spaces/148/uem-open-q-a_2/questions/148309/agent-instrumentation-is-not-available.html

Andreas sayed both collector and server has to be running before agent startup.

Maybe this topic changed between during these years?

Thanks!

jcamps
Advisor

Thanks Roman!

hegz
Contributor

Hi Roman

My question is if our appmon enviroment including appmon server and collector will have to shutdown one week,how about if agents reconnect to collector,will the application server need restart? or reconnect collector normally? Thanks!

Guangzhi

Hello @hegz 

Let me share my experience with the Dynatrace Managed. If the Dynatrace environment/components not available for the Dynatrace OneAgent to connect then it will keep trying but after every failed to try it will keep adding more time for the next try.
Once the agent will be able to connect then the monitoring will be started.
BUT, if the agent was disabled/stopped and the application processes restarted then after the connectivity of the agent the processes must be restart to resume the monitoring.
BUT, in your case agents are available all the time so if the AppMon agent has the same mechanism to keep trying without give up.

Note: I remember while using the AppMon that some of the processes were unable to start because the AppMon agent was not able to connect to the environment.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar:

Thanks for response.I agreed with you that agents will keep trying connect to collector.We shall see later.

BR

Guangzhi