cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Alerting on Response time threshold percentage

antonio_castro
Participant

We have a global SLA defined for which 85% of all transactions must be less than 3 seconds. I'l like to create an Incident Rule for this but not sure how. Currently I have BT's defined for user actions and PurePaths that take longer than 3 seconds thinking I could compare it to PurePaths and User Actions in general. Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2

rick_boyd
Mentor

Hi Tony,

Alerting based on percentiles has been an open request for a long long time.

Luckily for you 90th is pretty close to 85th, especially when you consider how normal these distributions tend to look. You can hence use an "All PurePaths" and an "All User Actions" BT (with no splitting) to track and alert your 3 second rule. Here's what you do:

1. Create the two BTs I just mentioned, no filters, no splittings (except Application)
  2. Go to your Monitoring dashboard and add these to the Application Overview (let me know if you need help with this)
  3. Once they show up, drill into each BT entry in the Application Overview and use the gear in the upper right to modify the settings. "Configure Base Line" -> "Use static base line for Slow Response Time" = 3000 ms.
  4. Set the incident actions for the built-in incident "Reponse Time degraded for slow requests" to take the action or email the personnel you desire.

Now, when the 90th percentile breaches 3 seconds, you will be alerted.

Hope that helps,

Rick B

Thanks Rick. I'll try this out.