Did you mean: 

Alerts on Web Application Dashboard + Mail on Alerting

miguel_balsa
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hi all.

I'd like to know if the configuration in Error Detection:

Is directly related to the Application Overview on the Web Client:

And also, if it is possible to create an email alert based on the information above. This is, get an email sent if the average rate of failed transactions for a certain application over the last X is greater or equal to X%.

I though about the Failure Rate too high Incident, but I'm not sure what is exactly "too high".

Also, there is the option to create a custom Incident Rule, but I can't find any measure that describes exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Miguel

8 REPLIES 8

I think, the OOTB alert named - Failure Rate too high is auto-baselined. It is the most appropriate alert in my experience (2 years). Also, the too high is wording has been chose to keep the stuff less verbose i.e user friendly for Monitoring guys or Execs. The alert itself includes exact percentage in the alert body which one should look for.

For a threshold based alert, try Count or percentage threshold on the 4xx/5xx internal measure.

Hi @Rajesh S., thanks for the answer.

What I wanted to know from my question was:

- Is the configuration in Error Detection directly related to the Application Overview on the Web Client??

- Is it possible to get an email sent if the average rate of failed transactions for a certain application over the last X is greater or equal to X%?? Is this OOUTB or do I have to create, as you said, an alert on a percentage measure?

Sorry for not being specific before 🙂

Miguel

Pardon for late replay.

Is the configuration in Error Detection directly related to the Application Overview on the Web Client??

I cannot say, the error detection in App Overview is based on Auto
Baselining for which any measure is not visible for editing or
viewing(intrinsic). The best I can guess is that the settings in the
Error detection should override the default 3% threshold.

Is it possible to get an email sent if the average rate of failed
transactions for a certain application over the last X is greater or
equal to X%??

If this is the way I believe, then you should get the mail - Failure
Rate too high. Also there is a measure "Failed Transaction Percentage"
which you might be interested giving a look at. Its threshold is set to
3%. Try changing this if it applies to "failure rate too high" incident.

May be @Andreas G. can suggest?

Refs:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Regards, Rajesh.

Hi @Rajesh S. thank for the answers!

Since my goal is to create an Incident Rule based on Failed Transaction Percentage for only certain applications, I was trying to use a custom Failed Transaction Percentage measure which would apply for only certain applications. But I can't find that section when creating a measure!! See pic below for more information.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Thanks!

Hi Miguel, I don't know if there is a way to do it. Can you try out 'Count Threshold' measures? Here is a snapshot:

lara_kandalaft1
Participant

Hi Miguel,

In terms of your second concern: Is it possible to get an email sent if the average rate of failed transactions for a certain application over the last X is greater or equal to X%?? Is this OOTB or do I have to create, as you said, an alert on a percentage measure?

I think a good option is to create a custom measure for failed transaction percentage and apply it to only a specific application at once as such:

I created my measure like this (key change is the source measure, unit and application selected):

Add then now an incident rule could be created from this measure

Hope this helps,
Lara

Hello @Lara K. thanks for the answer!

As for my first answer, Is the configuration in Error Detection directly related to the Application Overview on the Web Client?? The answer would be NO. The Application Overview is related to f the baselines for each application and the thresholds for User Action Failures and PurePath Failures.

Let us know if it worked for you. Thanks all.