cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

AppMon 7.0 and 6.5 Collector

Hi,

We just upgraded one enviorement to version 7.0 but we are having issue with 6.5 collector connected on that server. The collector and the agents are connected to server but the instrumentation seems to be disabled because of the Agent is connected to an outdated Collector.

I have some memory that I would need to change dtserver.ini or server.config.xml but cant remember where to find the information how to make the 6.5 collectors work with version 7.0.

12 REPLIES 12

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

What are you seeing that indicates that is the cause for the instrumentation being disabled? According to the docs all version of collectors back to 6.0 should be compatible - you shouldn't need to make any special changes. In the past it will give you a little warning that you should update your collectors but they should still work.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/insta...

James

Just a hunch and fade memory that I have seen somewhere is some point that we would need to enbale support for older collector somehow from somewhew in this case.

I wouldn't rule it out given that 7.0 is so fresh, but I wouldn't stop looking there. Assuming you're seeing agent instrumentation disabled errors check the agent and collector logs to see if there's any info. If there's nothing obvious feel free to check with support as this connection should work and if it doesn't for any reason I'm sure they'd be interested.

jason_ostroski
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Janne,

Usually the older agents are compatible with newer collectors/Dynatrace servers, but you'll need to upgrade the collector to 7.0 eventually to get the entire environment on the same version.

Here's a link to upgrading collectors: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/insta...

You'll want to install a 7.0 collector on the server. Stop the 6.5 collector, use the migration tool to backup the 6.5 config and migrate it to 7.0. Then edit any necessary config files (dtcollector.ini if you have made customization). Once this has all be completed, you can start up the 7.0 collector.

If you've applied a fixpack, you may need to apply it to the collectors and recycle as well.

Once the collector is on the new version, the agents will automatically pull the update, but will need a recycle before the new version is active.

Here's the full upgrade guide for your reference and is a good check to ensure everything is upgraded correctly: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/insta...

Hope this helps!

Jason

The collector is running on our customer AWS cloud and currently I don't have any access on it. They are using these Docker containers but there is no version 7.0 yet, so is there any way to make the version 6.5 collector work before can check the version 7.0 deployment with our customer.

https://github.com/Dynatrace/Dynatrace-Docker

-Janne

I am not aware of plans for Docker containers + 7.0, but I do know that the AppMon Server and Collectors need to be on the same version to prevent issues.

thomasK
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Dear Janne,

these are two different warnings, the "Agent is connected to an outdated Collector" is mostly informational and should not impact instrumentation or monitoring.

Please check the logs as suggested to find pointers as to why the instrumentation was disabled and / or open a support ticket. I may have been just a connection problem when / if the monitored application was restarted for instance.

Best regards,

Thomas

david_n
Inactive

Hello Janne,

Were you able to find a resolution to your collector upgrade issues or did you open a support ticket about it? We recently upgraded to 7.0 and our collectors are not upgrading even though they are connecting to the new DT server. We also were running 6.5 before the upgrade.

Thanks,

David Nicholls

Hello David,

AppMon Collectors will not upgrade major versions (like 6.5 -> 7.0) simply by connecting to the upgraded Dynatrace Server. They will, however, accept updates on minor versions (like 6.5.13 -> 6.5.14).

You will need to follow the upgrade and migration process on your Collectors to get them to Version 7. Here is the documentation for how to do this: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/installation/upgrade-and-migration-guide/upgrade-server-collectors-and-clients/

Kind regards,

Joshua P.

Hello Joshua,

Yes, that is correct. We followed the migration tool and the troubleshooting steps. We also have a support ticket open with the Dynatrace team but seeing this post made me wonder if there was already a solution for this scenario where the server doesn't upgrade the collector even when the situation is perfect.

Thanks,

David Nicholls

Hi David,

please note that you will need to run the migration tool multiple times, typically once for the server installation and then again for each collector installation, this then achieves the upgrade of the collector from 6.5 to 7.0.

So eg for machine 1:

• Has 6.5 server installed
  • Install 7.0 server
  • Run migration tool as instructed in guide to migrate from 6.5 to 7.0 installation directory.

For machine 2:

• Has 6.5 collector installed
  • Install 7.0 collector
  • Run migration tool as instructed in guide to migrate from 6.5 to 7.0 installation directory.

And so on for each machine or installation directory that you have.

Regards,

Thomas

Hello All,

I will wait to see what support has to say about our issues. Like I said above, we followed the best practices for upgrading our server and collectors. Its a AppMon SaaS instance so the support team upgraded the server and we only had to run the migration tool once to upgrade our collector after they were done.

Thanks,

David Nicholls