cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

AppMon: Count number of agents per agent group

harshal_pujari
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi all,

Is there a way to count the number of agents per agent group?

The outcome I am looking for, is an alert when certain number or certain percentage of agents are disconnected from a specific agent group.

We have an application who has adopted the DevOps approach. URL monitor plugin or the availability plugin would not be an efficient approach since that would require to change the hosts manually when a new set of servers is moved to Prod.

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Harshal.

6 REPLIES 6

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

There is a measure for connected agents you can create at an agent group level using the details in the measure configuration. We use this for some alerts when agents drop below a certain level to alert us. The name of the measure is "Connected Agents" and has worked well for us, do you think this would fit your needs?

James

We use this measure for that purpose too. The only down side is that we have to change the threshold every time an agent get in or out, but I don't think there's other way.

harshal_pujari
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi @James K.

Thanks for your response. Can you please share a screenshot?

Connected agents is what I tried initially, but I am not getting the results I am expecting. Here is what I am seeing:

connected-agents-per-agentgroup-am65.png

I charted the measure Connected agents and then filtered an agent group. That agent group has 6 agents. In the "sum" or the "count" column, I am expecting to see the number 6. However, I don't see that.

What may I be missing?

Regards,

Harshal.

This is what the details of the measure configuration may look like - it looks like you're also creating a measure for each agent which is not what you would want since you're only interested in the overall count so you should uncheck that "create a measure for each agent" option at the top.

Also, the sum and counts will be looking at the entire time period you're charting and since this measure will be returned about every 10 seconds it likely won't be what you expect. The measure 6 would be returned every 10 seconds so after 1 minute there would be a sum of 60.

Instead I would chart something like min, max, or last (the last measurement that was returned) to see if it is counting what you expect and also when you are defining incidents. I like to use max and a shorter incident timeframe so we can detect a period where fewer than expected are connected.

This is what the chart and table looks like for our working one with 4 agents in the group:

James

Hi James,

You are right. Thank you very much. I was indeed charting the out of the box measure and I had the "create a measure for each agent" checkbox checked.

I created a custom measure, unchecked the checkbox and filtered on the agent group; it works as expected.

Thanks once again.

Regards,

Harshal.

mmuthyal
Inactive

Hi, we have an agent group created and added multiple agent groupings to it. now we wanted to know if there is any way to create a dashboard and display how many agents are connected for each agent mapping ?