cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[AppMon] Displaying JMX String Values on a Dashboard

drew_pierce
Newcomer

I am looking for a way to pull JMX string data into AppMon and display it on a dashboard. Only numeric data can be collected using a Custom JMX measure but I have to believe this is possible because AppMon has already made a similar data available in the Status Overview dashlet.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew

5 REPLIES 5

drew_pierce
Newcomer

I have several cases where the health of an application is presented via JMX string data, not numeric. In these cases I want to use dT to query these values and make them available in a dashboard. I don't care how these are presented as my intent is to collect this data via REST and use it in other monitoring tools.

Is there anything that could be built into a plugin, monitor, or other  to expose this data?

Thansk,

Drew

Drew

A custom monitor can only return numeric values. Would it be possible for your custom monitor to "convert" the string value into a numeric value that reprsents the state, e.g: 1 for a string value of "OK"

The only other thing you can do is to write a custom monitor that returns numeric values for those things that are numeric - and write other information to e.g: a logfile. Not really what you are probably looking for - but at least a workaround.

I will check what our plans are going forward - again - here it would help having some specific examples

thanks

chandan_khanna
Inactive

I know this is old thread but have we got any solution for this problem?. Want to display string values in dashboards. Can we do that using custom monitors? @Andreas Grabner

Its not possible as Measures that you can put on dashboards have to be numeric!

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello @Katarzyna K.

The JMX MBean Server sensor captures JMX based measurements for supported Application Servers. The sensor doesn't have any user configurable properties.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/application-monitoring/agents/java-agent/jmx-mbean-server-sensor/

Regards,

Babar