cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[AppMon] Importing hosts

derek_abing
Organizer

Hi,

I have hundreds of systems that I want to add as hosts, but do not want to go in and add them one by one under the infrastructure setting as that would take a long time. I was wondering if there was a way to import all hosts using a delimited text file or other source. If this is not available I think it would be a good feature enhancement. The only other "automated" way of hosts being added is if they have the agent installed and connected to a collector which connects to a server. I will not be putting agents on these hosts, but I need to add them as hosts regardless because there are other metrics I want to get from them

6 REPLIES 6

derek_abing
Organizer

It looks like the host information is stored in the cmdb.config.xml file on the AppMon server? Is it possible to manually edit this file and restart the AppMon server to "import" a bunch of hosts at once? I tried it out, but it did not work. Just asking because when opening the file, there is a disclaimer indicating "Apply manual changes only if you have received explicit instructions from AppMon Support". which makes me believe editing the file is possible.

derek_abing
Organizer

I was able to edit the xml file successfully and import all my hosts instantly. When I was doing it earlier, I was just restarting the AppMon service after making the changes and it would not stick. I then stopped the service first, made the changes, then started it back up and the changes stuck.

Derek,

of course this is an (undocumented) solution for your problem. There are plans to build REST interfaces that allow customers to manage hosts and host groups. Unfortunately simply adding new hosts and assigning them to one ore more groups will not be enough. Editing, moving, deleting entries are other things, also important is the question is how one actually make sure that our database is in sync. with an external cmdb e.g.. Actually e need more input about what is really necessary.

So more input from you on this is very welcome.

jacob_crawford
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Was about to ask this exact question but came across this post from 2011. Hoping to save some time if by chance there is a way to automatically import a large list of hosts, rather than defining each individually in the DT Server Settings.

Are there any new developments on this in recent years?

Thanks. --Jake

tarjei
Organizer

I have created a Node JS solution you can look at here

https://github.com/tutnes/generate-hosts

The_AM
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Laurent, thanks for the link, I've just voted for that RFE. I am currently adding 800+ host definitions to a AppMon server for which using the AppMon client is required (rather than modifying the XML config file). I believe this is a much needed improvement. Even permitting copy out to an external application, and pasting back in to the client would be a significant improvement over the current copy + paste + edit manually within the client.

Regards,

Andrew

Regards,
Andrew M.