i recently installed AppMon trial server (7.0) and stumbled on two issues :
1. I have an IIS server to monitor with multiple websites. But since i have to add native module to a specific site how can i monitor multiple websites or app pools? Because the instructions mentions that i shouldn't add multiple ones because they would interfere with each other.
2. I added a test mssql instance with sysadmin sql credentials. It connected successfully and its displayed with green icon but when i look into web panel it says that no databases are monitored. The instruction doesn't say anything more than adding it in webmon app so is there something im doing wrong?
Thanks for your answers in advance.
Second thing that i noticed is that IIS agent that i have already set up after some time just stops working. The services (both agent and all collector and server process) are running fine. The data just stops comming and web UI reports 0 hosts and 0 processes when the desktop appmon shows the main agent for iis online just without any "tech version" info. This happens after like 1 hours after adding the service and restart of any service doesnt seem to help.
Regarding your second question from the initial post: Database Agents are visible in the Web UI only if they are matched to system profile data (an application is making the connection to the monitored database). You can still view DB Agent data in the desktop client, even if no match is detected.
thanks for answering. The problem is that the application is already making connections to database that i gave access to for dynatrace. Do i need to configure something more to set specific database to specific app?
The matching should be automatic. Please check the database connection details in the "Database" or PurePath dashlets and confirm that the host name and database instance name is the same as used in DB Agent configuration. If your application is using alternative host address, you may add it to DB Agent configuration using the little gear icon next to the Host field (additional host names list).
Please note, that the match will be updated when new PurePaths are processed, it doesn't work retroactively.
Okay so the problem is that PurePath doesn't seem to register anything at "Database" part. This is weird because applications are making connections to the database. What can be a reason for it not picking this up?
Probably the ADO.NET sensor is not enabled for your agent (assuming app is using .NET technology). Please check that in the Sensor placement section for your Agent group configuration (in system profile settings).
Yes the app is using .NET and its using ADO.NET. I enabled the sensor (edit system profile > [My group] > sensor placement > ADO.NET tick, and restart the agent and server) but it didn't change anything. In purepath database section is still empty. One thing i did manage to resolve was the IIS agent hanging due to server not being very stable. After switching machines that was resolved and now monitoring is stable.
That might be caused by unsupported database connection technology. I recommend opening a support case to explain this (it will also allow you share more sensitive data in private).
Thank you all for answers. I managed to fix the issues. Problem was caused by .NET agent not working due to some problems while IIS native module working correctly so i was getting information only about the webserver part and not the application intself. Now all is working well.