cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AppMon URL Monitor, possible to bulk change monitors?

david_stephens
Newcomer

We have an AppMon instance setup as a URL Monitor. We recently stood up 3 new collector server. What is the best way to go through and update the existing monitors to execute on the new collectors? Is there a bulk method or am I stuck with changing each monitor one at a time?

7 REPLIES 7

joshua_pavlica
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi David S.,

Unfortunately, as far as I know there is no bulk-editing within the Rich Client. You may be able to edit the system profile's XML and replace the collectors there but that I am not sure of the viability of doing that.

For example, here's one of my URL Monitors in the System Profile's XML:

<mastermonitor id="US Website">
<mastermonitorconfig paused="true" scheduleref="Every 5 Minutes" timeout="0" desc="The URL Monitor verifies availability, content, and access time for the US Website to ensure the availability of web pages. It supports secure communication and HTTP proxies.">
<hostexpr>
<parthostexpr>
<hostterm type="2" value="server50" />
</parthostexpr>
<parthostexpr>
<hostterm type="2" value="server59" />
</parthostexpr>
</hostexpr>
<targetexpr>
<targetterm type="1" value="dynaTrace Collector@unknown" />
</targetexpr>
<config sourcebundlename="com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugin.UrlMonitor" rolekey="com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.UrlPluginMonitor" roletype="2" key="com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.UrlPlugin" bundleversion="6.5.0.1289" rolesourcebundlename="com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugin.UrlMonitor">
<more properties go here>...</properties>
</mastermonitor>
<br>

I believe you should be able to just edit the "value" in <targetterm type="1" value="dynaTrace Collector@unknown" /> but I haven't tested that so making that change would be at your own risk.

Hi Joshua,

If we update the XML does it requires restart of dynatrace server?

Please refer to the comment above from Joseph H:

David,

You didn't mention the level of work required to simply copy/paste this information using the Rich Client. But we've also not mentioned the risks of manually editing the server.config.xml file behind the scenes, and what happens if you mess it up, have to roll back, redo, etc, etc.

If you do venture down the editing of server.config.xml directly, be sure the associated Dynatrace Server is shutdown until you complete your edits. The issue is that the Dynatrace Server writes to that file during shutdown, so any changes you make manually will be erased, unless it's shutdown during your edit/save operation.
Let us know what you decide. Always good to get the full feedback loop flowing.

joe hoffman

david_stephens
Newcomer

Thank you Josh, I shall give that a shot. Will report back if it works.

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

David,

You didn't mention the level of work required to simply copy/paste this information using the Rich Client. But we've also not mentioned the risks of manually editing the server.config.xml file behind the scenes, and what happens if you mess it up, have to roll back, redo, etc, etc.

If you do venture down the editing of server.config.xml directly, be sure the associated Dynatrace Server is shutdown until you complete your edits. The issue is that the Dynatrace Server writes to that file during shutdown, so any changes you make manually will be erased, unless it's shutdown during your edit/save operation.
Let us know what you decide. Always good to get the full feedback loop flowing.

joe hoffman

mayuri_cherukur
Participant

Hi David,

Did you got the solution for your problem, even i have the same issue.Please let me know the solution.

Joshua,

If we update the XML does it requires restart of dynatrace server?