Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AppMon backup-restore by external tool

miroslaw_nowak
Newcomer

Hello!

My client
wants to perform a periodic backup of the Dynatrace AppMon7 installation. This
backup will be included in one large backup process controlled by NetBackup. For
this purpose, the client needs a list of the AppMon folders/files , which
must be included in the backup process. Probably this is the list used by
Dynatrace-migration tool, with some additional information i.e. if that
folder/file could be backed upduring
the Dynatrace server/collector is running or not, e.t.c.

I can’t
find such a list in the documentation.

Does anyone
have such a list?

8 REPLIES 8

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Rather than trying to maintain a list of the critical files, another approach would be to use the AppMon Migration Tool and build a backup. Then configure NetBackup to simply select the single migration file. This is beneficial for several reasons and alleviates you from having to maintain a list of the critical files. If you still want to know the list, I suggest you open the migration tool backup file and inspect it as it will contain the current list of the build you're running. Of course you can appreciate that the list can change with each release of the product.

miroslaw_nowak
Newcomer

Thanks Joseph

I just wonder if somebody include dynatrace in a external backup process and how it could be organized.

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

We have a variety of customers who backup their own system thru various techniques. As the doc says, one important thing is to have AppMon shutdown while the files are being copied. This is critical to the config files, otherwise they might be in an inconsistent state.

miroslaw_nowak
Newcomer

Yes I know, shutdown is a must. But I need some more details. Can you please describe the best or the most popular backup technique of the AppMon server/collector on MS Windows?

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Since you're just backing up files, it doesn't matter from an AppMon perspective what backup solution you use. AppMon doesn't care. Did I misunderstand your question?

miroslaw_nowak
Newcomer

Maybe I mistakenly expressed my problem.

I just want
to have a proven, legitimate method of automatic, cyclic backup to be sure that I will quickly restore my appmon server
configuration, settings and licenses in the case of a disaster.

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

I suggest you use the AppMon Migration Tool to gather the important files.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/insta...

Then use a backup tool of choice to backup the Migration Tool output, just like you do with any other system files.

miroslaw_nowak
Newcomer

Thank You Joseph.