cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AppMon client 7 hangs on mac

sameemahmed
Newcomer

Hi,

AppMon client 7 hangs on mac upon start. screen-shot-2017-12-08-at-131231.png

Installed with dynatrace-client-7.0.0.2469.dmg

Mac OS version - macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.1

java version "1.8.0_152"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_152-b16)

Regards,

Sameem Ahmed

17 REPLIES 17

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Sameem, Your screenshot does not show a hang to me. Did you press the Connect button?

But if it is hanging, I've seen that problem on several Java based apps on the Mac, usually due to fragmented memory. What happens if you reboot your Mac and startup the AppMon Client as the first app? If this works, then I suspect you're just dealing with memory limitations of your laptop.

sameemahmed
Newcomer

Thanks Joseph for your reply. The window just freezes and I can't click on anything. I tried restarting but it does not help. I don't have memory limitations on my laptop.

Thanks

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Another thing to try:

1) Shutdown (kill) your running AppMon Client

2) Delete the following directory ($HOME/.dynatrace/* Notice the DOT at the beginning of the directory. This is located in your home directory and may require a command line tool to access as dot directories are hidden by default from Finder

3) Start the client

sameemahmed
Newcomer

I tried but still the same.

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Next step would be to inspect the client.0.0.log file to see if it has any nuggets of value. I'd be most interested in any log message of WARNING or SEVERE severity. Log file is located in the $HOME/.dynatrace/log/ directory.

sameemahmed
Newcomer

Log files location - $HOME/.Dynatrace/Dynatrace 7.0/log/client

Only WARNING, nothing with SEVERE.

Client.0.0.log:2017-12-10 00:08:30 WARNING [KeyStoreFileManager] Not all keystore backup files exist. Could not save backup files before re-init. Deleting remaining files.

Client.0.0.log:2017-12-10 00:18:29 WARNING [ProxyVoleToJDKLogger] FirefoxProxySearchStrategy: Error parsing settings: java.io.FileNotFoundException: prefs.js (No such file or directory)

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Sameem, Did you try uninstalling the Client, deleting all associated files, then reinstalling? If that doesn't give you any relief, I would suggest opening a support case. Someone needs to dig deeper into your environment.

sameemahmed
Newcomer

I did. Will log a ticket. Thanks Joseph.

Hi Sameem

I’m running that version of the client on high
sierra without issue.

Its probably worth
verifying the version of the jre at the symlink inside the
dynatrace.app/Contents/MacOs/jre folder contents. The location it points to is
:-

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/

There is a release file there which will tell you
which version is installed at that location. This should line up with whatever
is visible for java in the mac os system preferences/java rather than what you
might see by executing java –version.

It often happens that MacOS ships jre 1.6 (the last
version they’re licenced for before oracle took over java) in that location and
unless you specifically change it, you may well be pointing at a 1.6 jre even
though you also have other jre’s & jdk’s installed. It looks like they’re
still doing this on High Sierra, see :-

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US

Most of the time that I’ve had appmon client
issues, they have been related to this.

sameemahmed
Newcomer

Hi Gregor,

I checked the version of the jre at the symlink and also checked the version in the release file at the given location. It is JAVA_VERSION="1.8.0_152". The same version is visible in the mac os system preferences/java.

Please could you uninstall the dynatrace client and delete associated dynatrace files and reinstall dynatrace again. This might reproduce the issue on your side.

Regards,

Sameem Ahmed

claudiu_mihaes1
Newcomer

Hi Sameem, we solved this issue on one of our machines by pointing (changing the symbolic link in Dynatrace) to an older Java version (1.8.0_101). Most likely, you have the same problem.

sameemahmed
Newcomer

Thank you so much Claudiu. It worked. I installed java version "1.8.0_144". Dynatrace have to fix this on the latest versions of Java 8.

kevin_goff
Participant

We have 6 mac users that are all experiencing this same problem. We have not found a fix yet.

also note that we run 1.8.0_152

sameemahmed
Newcomer

Hi Kevin,

1. Uninstall Java

2. Uninstall dynatrace client

3. Delete $HOME/.Dynatrace directory

4. Install java version "1.8.0_144". The older version is available in the link below -

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-javase8-2177648.html

5. Install dynatrace client

Regards

dan_wanigaseker
Newcomer

I struck a similar issue with v6.5 of the client, with Java version 1.8.0_161.

The client starts correctly, but then is entirely unresponsive to any input from keyboard or mouse. I've had this confirmed by a colleague. The fix was as described above, symlink to an older version of Java.

pieter_luttig
Contributor

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/application-monitoring/appmon-client/appmon-client-troubleshooting/