cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

AppMon cookies size.

yamini_dubey
Organizer

I was looking at cookies being recorded for one of our application . Came across something strange. Based on the cookies I see, the length of the cookies being generated by AppMon in the back end is quite big which is requiring application to not load at times and requires clearing of cookies. Was wondering if we could disable certain cookies being generated by AppMon. Is it something related to the current instrumentation. There is no slowness but due to size of these cookies and since there is a limit in chrome browser on cookie size , the user has o frequently clear cookies otherwise blank page is generated.

Any leads on this? @Babar Q.

Thanks and Regards.

9 REPLIES 9

Babar_Qayyum
Leader

Hello Yamini,

I checked documentation but could not find the specific information "if we could disable certain cookies being generated by Dynatrace"

Just have a glance the collected information from the documentation.

Cookies

The JavaScript Agent and the web server and Java Agents use the following cookies:

• dtCookie: Session cookie used to identify user sessions. This cookie is valid as long as the browser process is running. Do not confuse this with HTTP-sessions of web applications or visits. Both usually have timeouts.
  • dtPC: Page context cookie used to link web requests to user actions.
  • dtLatC: Latency of monitor signals.
  • dtSA: Source action cookie. On browsers that do not support sessionStorage.

Cookies

AppMon UEM requires cookies to identify sessions. Therefore it is a technical necessity that a web server agent set a temporary session cookie; otherwise UEM cannot measure a user's performance experience. This cookie is sent on the first web request and expires when the browser is closed. It is non-persistent and is not used for ad tracking. AppMon sets these first-party cookies for the sole purpose of application performance management, not for tracking a user's purchasing bias or click behavior.

Domain for AppMon cookies

Overrides on which domain the AppMon cookies dtCookie, dtPC and dtLatC should be set.

• Note. The agent might not use cookies correctly if this setting is not configured properly. This can result in single-action visits and similar behavior.

Regards,

Babar

yamini_dubey
Organizer

Thanks for the update @Babar Q. Had been looking at this too and looks like these cookies are related to UEM performance and are out of box. Based on what you posted, it makes sense that these issues are being seen intermittently and not for all users. Was looking at the size of this cookie for some requests and it was considerably large. was thinking of finding a way to reduce that. I do see that we can do some setting on agent in the info you provided, anything on that .Could you provide me where we can see this.

Thanks and Regards.

yamini_dubey
Organizer

@Babar Q. @Andreas G. I think one way to disable this cookie would be to enable UEM for only server data and No Browser (UEM) Data. This dtsa cookie , from what I have found I feel would come up only for those users whose browser does not support Sessions storage.

Do you think that makes sense?

Thanks and Regards.

Hello Yamini,

Seems to be a good idea, so if you know the browser version of those users then we can exclude those browsers from the Injection Restriction area of user experience.

Once you try to see the impact.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Yamini,

the dtSa cookie is used to store source action information and this is set always.

Information stored in this cookie will be needed to link a load to a page action. E.g. the dtSa cookie is configured for the domain .example.com and you start an action on a.example.com and this leads to a load of b.example.com the sessionStorage will not be used and these actions cannot be linked.

Best regards,
Roman

yamini_dubey
Organizer
@Babar Q.

That does help thanks ! though that makes me loose all EUEM data fro chrome on browser end right? I will still have the UEM data for server end, so I will still be recording visits or not?

Regards

Hello Yamini,

Yes you will have sever side data but not the UEM data of those users who will be used the excluded browser versions.

Just make sure that you are excluding the correct versions.

Regards,

Babar

@Babar Q.Currently the request is for all chrome versions , temporarily so I have just put for all versions (>0.0.0.0) hope that's the way to do it?

Also will the users coming via chrome will not be seen now under visits?

Thanks and Regards

Hello Yamini,

Exactly. Those should not be available in the visit dashboard if exclusion is working perfectly.

Regards,

Babar