cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application overview (monitoring) and business transactions

arda_haliloglu
Participant

Application overview dashboard uses business transactions for monitoring.

When I create business transactions for an application with URI filtering, it is displayed under other applications also. Other applications dont have any monitoring data due to the URI filtering but still there are spots for that business transactions.

How can I create a business transaction specific to an application and this business transaction is monitored for only this application.

8 REPLIES 8

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Arda,

There is no splitting on the 'Application' level for the BT, therefore, you will see the BT under other logical applications in the same system profile.

Regards,

Babar

arda_haliloglu
Participant

Then how should we define business transactions for monitoring?

We have more than 100 applications and want to define business transactions (2-5 transactions) for each application using URI filters.

Actually, when I select "Web Page Request" from Select Monitored Business Transactions screen, the grouping (I think it is done automatically) of request is not as useful for me. I want to remove some of them and make custom groups as business transactions.

Hello Arda,

You can create business transactions for each logical application in the system profile but the only issues that all those business transactions will be shown in each application even without data.

If you are caring about only the custom business transactions then simply uncheck the 'Web Request Request' to get rid from the auto created business transactions.

Regards,

Babar

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Unfortunately, I believe this would be an enhancement request. When a BT is split by application (which is necessary to have it baselined) it's going to be looking at every application when analyzing the BT regardless of it it ever touches any given application. Even if you include a filter to specify an application it will still analyze and try to baseline it for all leading to the empty sections in the monitoring dashboards.

James

arda_haliloglu
Participant

Ok. I see that there is no way to define BusinessTransaction at application scope. Therefore, all business transactions (in the same system profile) will be displayed under each application monitoring screen.

I think this enhancement is needed for AppMon product. How can we request this enhancement for future releases?

There is an "AppMon and UEM Product Ideas" forum which you can make an "idea" type post in. Then users can vote on these and development is able to determine which ideas or enhancements to focus on.

You can use this link to create an idea, just make sure to set it to the above forum:

https://answers.dynatrace.com/content/idea/post.html?space=151

James

Cody_Kachelski
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi Arda,

One option you could use is the "Health State" feature in the right side of the individual application view, you can leave "No Data" unselected and the business transactions without data for that Application will not show up. You can also click the star to favorite business transaction splittings to force them to the top of the list.

Oh nice that works, although it's all unchecked by default for me and if you have none selected it seems like it just ignores it. Checking unhealthy and healthy like you have clears out the empty ones for me.