cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appmon Dynatrace Platform Windows Server 2008 to 2016 planned - Efforts for installing new dynatrace

karthikayini_mu
Inactive

Hello Team,

Dynatrace is installed in Windows server currently. The Windows team is planning to upgrade the WIdows server 2008 to 2016.

Looks like Dynatrace admin have to manually copy or install everything.
May I know the procedure.

1. How to install and copy the old set up to new upgraded windows server.

2.Is it same like upgrade process migrating config files.

Thanks & regards
Karthikayini M

4 REPLIES 4

himanshu_mor
Advisor

Hello @Karthikayini M.,

please checkout answers for below questions to define upgrade process in your scenario :

WHich version of Appmon are you running currently?

Your windows server 2008 is physical or virtual?
are you also changing Server hostname or IP in this OS upgrade?

What is your OS upgrade approach:

1) BUild a new VM on 2016 and then migrate your appmon installation to the new VM.
Turn off your old VM and tunr on your new VM (assign Hostanme & IP to your new VM)
are you also changing Server hostanme or IP in this OS upgrade?

2) Upgrading OS on same server ?

Backup :

please secure complete backup of you server in an unlikely event of upgrade failure so that you can safely restore your present server.

Depending on your current appmon version , you may need to consider your appmon upgrade.

Complete appmon version upgrades are basically fresh installations like for upgrading from 6.5 to 7.x
You do a fresh 7.x installation and then migrate the config files /session store to new installation directory using the migration tool

Thanks

HImanshu Mor

Hi @Himanshu M.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Thanks & regards

Karthikayini M

Hello @Karthikayini M. , i forgot to mention the link for data migration tool that you will need to use for migrating appmon data from old installation to new installation.

please refer below :

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/installation/upgrade-and-migration-guide/migration-tool/migration-tool-details/

Thanks

Himanshu Mor

Hi @Himanshu M.

I have found some details reg the Windows Upgrade. Can you please help me this regard.

1. Windows server 2016 is physical or virtual? Virtual
2. Are we changing Server host name or IP in this OS upgrade? Yes
3. What is OS upgrade approach ? 2012

4. Build a new VM on 2016 and then migrating apps installation to the new VM. Server is a fresh build and fresh application needs to be installed

Turn off your old VM and turn on your new VM (assign Host name & IP to your new VM) are you also changing Server host name or IP in this OS upgrade?
5.Upgrading OS on same server ? No

If you have any idea, may I please know the procedure would be simple. I got your link for upgrade and migration.

Still I have no clue whether I will encounter any issue.

Please suggest me.

Thanks & regards

Karthikayini M