cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

BMC Remedy ARS

andre_vdveen
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Does anyone have any insight or experience with monitoring BMC Remedy Action Request System (ARS) / ITSM7 with dynaTrace?

I know the web tier, also referred to as the Mid-Tier, runs Apache Tomcat in my case so we can monitor that, but I'm more interested in the AR Server (arserverd) process. A Google search produced an article which mentions it is based on 4GL programming language, whereas Java is 3GL so I assume there is no JVM involved.

We have visibility on ARS via DCRUM currently, but not for the AR Server (application tier) since there isn't a decode.

21 REPLIES 21

gilgi
Pro

Hi Andre, 

are you reffering to version 7 of remedy ? or any other version ?

Gil.

Hi Gil!

Correct, version 7 yes.

We're monitoring the Mid Tiers (web tiers), which is Tomcat based, with dynaTrace but I'm hoping for some insight into the application tier, where the arsystem and arserverd processes run.

André

gilgi
Pro

Hi Andre, 

the arsystem is written in C, hence you will not be able to see inside it. on the new version (9) it has been rewritten in java.

Gil.

Hi Gil,

Thank you for the information.

Have you managed to do any form of monitoring on the application tier, using dynaTrace, on versions older than 9?

André

ashish_saxena
Contributor

Hi,

Does it mean we can use DynaTrace AppMon to monitor Remedy for version 9 and above. I've a customer looking forward to monitor Remedy as environment.

Ashish & Andre, 

On versions older than 9 we're monitoring UE and the front tier. You should note that using a JS ADK might be needed because actions are spread across several user action purepaths. For versions 9 and above the Application tier could also be monitored perfectly as it is java based.

Gil.

Gil G.,

Any knowledge on whether or not this would work for Remedy AR 8.1?

Also would you know how or have any insight into hot to configure Remedy 9 to monitor the application tier?

ashish_saxena
Contributor

Thanks Gil for the prompt response. I'll reach out to you if I need more information.

ashish_saxena
Contributor

Hi,

I've a customer looking to monitor Remedy for version 7. They also intend to monitor the later version i.e. 9.

Please suggest if version 7 and 9 can be monitored using AppMon or DC-RUM and how do we do that and what kind of monitoring information they will be able to get for each component/tier of Remedy using both AppMon or DC-RUM.

ashish_saxena
Contributor

The customer intends to monitor both Web and App tier in the current version i.e. 7.

gilgi
Pro

@Greg, version is supported as described above. With versions 9 and above they have the backend in java as well. We're not yet monitoring this version.

andre_vdveen
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Has anyone had any success monitoring Remedy 9.x, specifically 9.1?

I've tried instrumenting it, but either I'm placing the agent parameters in the wrong file or the wrong place in the (wrong) file. If I place it in the arserver.config file, the agent logs shows that the agent is starting, but then nothing happens...the agent doesn't come up completely, nor does the arserver process start up. If we reboot the server, some more entries are written to the agent logs, but these are not very helpful either.

No entries are written to the BMC logs when the agent parameter is passed; if I remove it, Remedy starts up fine.

gautier_begin
Advisor

ars-sensor.docx

Hello

I placed the agent in the monitor.conf file also.

In the system profile, I have create a dedicated sensor enclosed here.

Bye.

andre_vdveen
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Hi Gautier, thank you for the doc and info!

Can you share the files and exact locations where you successfully placed our agent parameter? I assume you're referring to the armonitor.conf file, but I see there are two in different directories. Did you place it in both?

Hello,

The agent has been set in armonitor.cond and arserverd.conf. These files are only present once in my directories.

Cordialement, Regards,Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

andre_vdveen
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Do you perhaps have the details (example) of where in these files you've place the -agentpath parameter? I have an armonitor.cfg file and arserver.config file on my BMC Remedy 9.1 system, no armonitor.conf or arserverd.conf but I guess they do the same thing.

Here's an example of where I've placed it in my files.

armonitor.cfg

Monitor-directory: "C:\BMCSoftware\ARSystem"
"C:\Java\jre1.8_x64\bin\java" -jar "C:\BMCSoftware\ARSystem\arserver.jar" -agentpath:C:\dynaT\agent\lib64\dtagent.dll=name=ARS,server=192.168.8.111:9998 -i "C:\BMCSoftware\ARSystem" -l "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AR System\Licenses\TST-ARAPAHO" -m

arserver.conf

jvm.option.17=-agentpath:C:\dynaT\agent\lib64\dtagent.dll=name=ARS,server=192.168.8.111:9998

Hello,

Yes, these is the same kind of files. The name is different depending of your OS: Win/UNIX-LINUX.

Cordialement, Regards,Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

annette_gaschle
Newcomer

@Andre V.,@Gautier B.

Hello,

we would like to monitor BMC Remedy AR System 9.1 with
dynatrace on a Linux Server.

As mentioned above we have to edit two files:

- armonitor.conf
and

- arserverd.config

We did edit arserverd.config:

jvm.option.XX=-agentpath:/opt/dynatrace/dynatrace-6.5/agent/lib64/libdtagent.so=name=ARS_01,server=dts-int.dynatrace.vkbintra.de:9998

If the arserverd.config
file has jvm.option.19 as last
jvm option, you should add the jvm options starting from jvm.option.20.

But we aren’t able to edit armonitor.conf. Does anybody know the
correct command?

However: it looks like the the agent is installed and works
well:

but the only things we get are exceptions caused by the
host:

"The host did not accept the connection within timeout
of 40000 ms"

Did anybody else have a similar problem?

Are you able to find a solution?

gilgi
Pro
@Annette G.

as far as I know the AR still gets requests using a proprietary protocol, so pure paths should be started using custom sensors. do you have these as well ?

When looking at the agent details, do you have placed sensors listed ?

Gil.

andre_vdveen
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Hi @Annette G. I'm not even getting to the stage where the ARServer starts up, as soon as I add the agent parameters, nothing happens.

I agree with @Gil G. that you need to set up custom entry points, before you'll see PurePaths. Unfortunately I can't help you with that, until I can figure out what's causing my issue :'(

nishantp
Newcomer

Hi Andre,

I am also not able to generate the connected pure path representing MDT and AR in 1 .

We have 9.1 platform .

But i was able to collect the AR purePaths , .

Below is the argument i have added for java options in aserverd.sh

jvm.option.26=-agentpath:/prjvl01/bmc/Compuware/dynatrace-6.2/agent/lib64/libdtagent.so=name=AR_XXXXXX_UAT1,server=dynatraceServer:9090

PFA the sensors enabled for AR .

Also pl see the flow diagram where midtier flow is coming from webrequest and AR is having anonymous entry point .

Pl see if it can help you to tag AR with dynatrace and then you can explore more on a consolidated pure path of AR and MDT .flow.png sensor1.png sensor2.png