cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Best way to have a meaningful "Database time" stoplight

shane_korbel
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

At my customer site we are trying to come up with sets of dashboards to go from a very high level (all applications) to a lower level (application) and then into a fine detail view with linked dashboards. What we want to do is to have stoplights for the first two levels but I'm unsure the best way to have a database stoplight for the application level dashboard. The idea is at this tier of dashboards we would have web services, host details, DB, etc. From this stoplight level I would just make a drilldown into the database hotspots and default database dashlets. I'm just not sure "DB Time" would be encompassing enough for this. What I would like to do is setup the top 10 longest running queries then have it chart that and set a threshold on what the average of the top 10 should be but i am unsure how to go about that. I know I can do a "top-x" filter on the Database dashlet but there is no way I know of to graph that or set thresholds for it.

3 REPLIES 3

shane_korbel
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

I've watched the following Dynatrace perf clinic about databases, but we are still on 6.2.

nva_dt
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

As Dynatrace is mostly transaction-based, working with database queries separately is not easy.

What about the following:

- create a business transaction, calculating the average DB time, eventually specify a threshold on the same measure to pre-filter above a certain value (and add it as a BT filter)

- use the business transaction as a filter for a DB dashlet and combine with a top X.

That would display the top X queries contributing the most to the DB time per transaction... Not sure that helps but it may give you ideas to combine BTs and filters to get what you are after.

Nic

shane_korbel
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

I also found this really good blog post