Today my students in the "Application Monitoring 6.1 - Associate vILT" had an "issue" that I have often encountered myself and I told them I would post a question in the forum to get clarification.
One of the labs requires creating a business transaction in several stages:
The results columns were always empty in the Business Transactions Dashlet even after waiting for quite a while, but they were already populated in the Business Transactions Hotspots Dashlet.
My understanding is that the Business Transactions Dashlet is PurePath-based, whereas the Business Transactions Hotspots Dashlet is based on measures from the Performance Warehouse.
This would imply the Business Transactions Dashlet would display data before (or at least concurrent with) the Business Transactions Hotspots Dashlet, but the opposite is happening so I would love an explanation as to why this occurs.
I just took a look at some Business Transactions Dashlet results in a 6.1 Production install, and there are values in the results columns, so I know that the data must eventually "show up" but I cannot explain the long lag.
Thanks in advance,
I am not sure if this is the same situation that I sometimes run into - but - if you open a BT Dashlet and you modify the BT afterwards, e.g: adding result measures, ... - you should re-open that BT DAshlet for it to correctly display data. I've noticed that in the past that everytime I change someting in the BT Definition it is better to close the previous dashlet and open a new instance of it.
Please give this a try and let me know if it works. In general your assumptions are correct though. The BT Dashlet shoudl show data once a PurePath is completely processed as this allows the BT Dashlet Analyzer to get that data. The BT Hotspots gets its data from the Perf Warehouse which will get data once the PurePaths are processed and the measures are put into our timeseries data
I have found a trick for this issue as my students suffered from the same problem.once you have modified the BT, clone it and the data will appear!
The other interesting thing I have noticed is that when the data is missing from the dashlet, charting the result measure will show the correct data...
Sorry I forgot to ever reply back, but the cloning trick works great Opening a new BT dashlet did not seem to help any...nor did closing the client entirely and re-opening it. Also, it appears if you rename the clone back to the original BT name, it again stops working correctly. If I clone the original and stay with the new name it seems to work fine. This is very odd behavior that I would consider a bug...
Another important observation (thanks to Todd Ellis, who picked up on this nuance during our Dynatrace Professional vILT session today):
Apparently, drill downs from splits to PurePaths, or any Business Transaction search or filter based on splits will not work correctly if the splits were added to the Business Transaction later.
The "clone trick" clears up this issue as well.
Again, I would consider this a bug...