cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Business transaction splitting over dashlet

kate_x_liu
Participant

Hi, 

I'm wondering if anyone has experience on splitting business transaction by regular expression?

Here is an example of what we would like to achieve: 

In the business transaction table above, there are multiple "keypress" actions that need to be grouped together, and all clicks/taps on "View All" needs to be grouped together. We have tried using splitting from the business transaction definition which breaks things down by the full user action name as above, which, does not meet the expectation. 

After searching around a little bit, we found this from dashlet filter:

Here is the filters that we've applied: 

Although it does not have regex option, the logic seems to be right but it still does not generate the result. 

Please point us to the right track to get proper splitting? 

Thanks,

Kate

10 REPLIES 10

thomas_lagona
Inactive

Hi Kate,

If I'm understanding this correctly, you're trying to group together all keypresses and group together any click/taps on "view all?" In order to do this it just looks like you should be able to split by action type. Right now you're splitting by any action that has 'keypress' / 'view all'  in it which is causing more granular splitting (since it's splitting for each different key press).

You may also need to change the filter on the Business Transaction. You may need to create two measures: 1) Any action that is a key press 2) A tap/click on "view all" . This should then only pull in the desired actions and if you were to then split on action type you should only get 3. All key presses grouped together, all taps on 'view all,' and all clicks on 'view all.' I know it's not exactly what you what but it should be a step in the right direction.

kate_x_liu
Participant

Thanks for your reply Thomas! 

Splitting by action type sounds good if we have only these two groups to work on. However, this will introduce other concerns because it does not separate click on "View All" from other clicks. For example, there are groups that we also need to define such as: click/tap on "View Detais" as a group, click/tap on "Play" as another group, etc

Is there something we can do to group the actions in terms of partial user action name somewhere?

Thanks,

Kate

shrimant2
Inactive

To clarify a bit further: you can see how "keypress" is being listed as a bunch of different actions. We dont really care what they pressed, we only care that they did a keypress in general. We've tried a number of things, but we cant get the grouping to be a general "keypress" splitting, its always splitting it off based on what they keypressed.

same goes for View.

thomas_lagona
Inactive

Would it be possible for you to grab some of the different types of PurePaths and send them to me? I don't use a lot of UEM so it'd be easier for me to see if a BT can be done with some PurePaths to test it on. If so, you may email me at thomas.lagona@dynatrace.com

shrimant2
Inactive

Would a 30 minute session export work?

thomas_lagona
Inactive

You can do a 5 or 10 minute session. Just as long as there are a couple of each type PurePaths/action.

joshua_raymond
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hey Shrimant,

Were you able to get this working correctly?  It seems like a business transaction with a user action filter for all "keypress" actions should do the trick.

-Josh

I'm currently working on it. Seems like Thomas provided a good solution via email. I think our regex was just off, so im going to try some more stuff on my end.

thomas_lagona
Inactive

To update this thread, I looked at the small session given to me. If you're only interested in totals for each action name (disregarding action type), I would create a new measure for the splitting field. The new measure should split on Action Name using the following regex, (\"[\w\s]+\")  (I'm not good with regex and just did a Google search. Someone may be able to provide something better).

The results showed this:

I did take the keypress out of the current BT and put that in its own BT. It would be easier to do it that way otherwise this BT would try and split the keypresses by whatever was in the quotations (in the session given to me this was all 'query'). If all keypresses have "query" in quotations then this new splitting would also work fine for it.

Hopefully this gets you closer to what you're looking for.

Tom

joshua_raymond
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

The regex looks good Tom! I think it would filter out the keypresses correctly and provide a correct count.

One thing to note is that if another splitting is added to the current BT, then the number of records stored within the Performance Warehouse would also increase substantially if there are unique values for each splitting.  For example, if the number of records for a user action splitting is 75, then also splitting by application where there are two applications would bring the total to 150.  This becomes increasingly large as more and more unique splittings are added for each measure as shown below:

Example w/One Split Measure

Current number of splittings (Measure 1) = 50

Total Number of Records = 50

Example w/Two Split Measures

Number of splittings (Measure 1) = 50  

Number of new splittings (Measure 2) = 25

Total Number of Records = 1250

Also, split measures are also used as filters, the measure would need to be mutually exclusive in order to work properly.  I think by adding the keypress as a splitting you would then filter out all other traffic from the business transaction.