Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating business transaction requests per second

campbell_purvis
Contributor

Hi,

I would like to create a chart displaying the number of
(custom) business transactions per second.

I select Chart > Add Measure > Business Transactions
> Count > Add

This gives me a graph with the Count on the Y-axis.

I am unsure what interval this Y-axis aggregation count value applies
to? For example, is it per minute?

I would like the Y-axis to be a count of the requests per second. How can this be done using the dashlet charting?

I have seen the same question asked on the Community with no replies.

Many thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Campbell, All charts have a dynamic aggregation interval by default. So depending on the range of the X axis, the aggregation interval is adjusted.

To specify the aggregation interval, select the "Chart Resolution" menu in the upper right corner of the chart and 'hard code' your value of choice. Just remember that not all values are possible. For example, if you're looking at an hours worth of data (X axes), you can't select "1 Day" for resolution.

If you hard code your resolution, I suggest you put that in the Dashlet title, so everyone can see what you're representing.

Does that answer your question?

joe hoffman

Hi Joe, thank you for the explanation. I see now the relationship between timeframe and resolution. Given the lowest resolution I can achieve is every 10 seconds, I am able to obtain transactions per second (TPS) by setting the scale of the series data to x0.1.

However, this configuration would not work for larger timeframe ranges (as 10 secs is not an option for longer ranges). I guess I could play around with timeframe/resolution/scale settings so I can always see TPS for every range. If there is an easier way, do let me know! I definitely like your idea of naming the dashlet appropriately.

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

The 10 sec resolution is only available for very recent (last 60 minutes) data which comes directly from AppMon Server cache memory, not from the PW. So if the time range of your query goes back before the cache capacity, then the PW data is used which stores (at the highest) 1 minute aggregation values.

Keep in mind that when you're analyzing days (or more) worth of data, doing this at a resolution of 10 seconds does not make sense. The Min,Max,Avg values are still maintained, just at a lower resolution as you go back in time. But you can always change how long the different resolutions are stored. Just be careful to not do something absurd, such as High Resolution Duration of 5 years. These can be changed in the Server Settings -> Performance Warehouse -> Storage Management.