cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Can UEM Mobile for Android handle a multidex apk or did I just hit the ceiling for instrumenting my apk?

dave_deleo
Inactive

In instrumenting our apk we received the following:

SEVERE: caa-jf(1): dexMergeFiles: skip merging due to large number of methods

I did a search in the community for what this was which took me to the following:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Which told me of the Dalvik limitation. There was an android link that explained how to code around the Dalvik limitation which is to do multidex.

That solves the applications issue for the app developer. But my question is can Dynatrace instrument the apk for multidex? Or a more basic question can Dynatrace instrument any work around for the Dalvik limitation?

Thanks,

David

6 REPLIES 6

andrzej_g
Inactive

If Your application run over 64K methods per single dex, it has to be built as multidex.

Currently we do have a fixpack ready for our mobile ADK to handle auto-instrumentation of multidex apps, please open a support ticket in case You need one.

dave_deleo
Inactive

Thanks very much Andrzej for that information! Great!!

katlegok
Guide

Hi @Andrzej Gebski I just found a thread on the Community Portal and I too am having the same issue with the build as it does not want to instrument the application https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

I would like to know how will we know if this feature will always be part of each ADK release so we can add modify it every time we upgrade.

Kind regards

Katlego

youri_bonnaffe
Newcomer

Hi, I am trying to enable instrument on my app; however I keep having this issue/

2018-08-13 18:06:23.136 SEVERE: APKit-AdkInstrumentor(1): dexMergeFiles: skip merging due to large number of methods
Throwable occurred: u: dexMergeFiles: skip merging due to large number of methods
at v.a(SourceFile:341)
at com.dynatrace.android.instrumentation.AdkInstrumentor.a(SourceFile:751)
at com.dynatrace.android.instrumentation.AdkInstrumentor.a(SourceFile:773)
at com.dynatrace.android.instrumentation.AdkInstrumentor.c(SourceFile:447)

at com.dynatrace.android.instrumentation.AdkInstrumentor.main(SourceFile:281)

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Thanks for your help!

Hello @Youri B.

When using multiple .dex for Android auto-instrumentation, there is a limit on the number of referenced methods in a given .dex file. The specification limit for this number is 65,536.

Have a look on the below link for the using multiple .dex files for Android instrumentation

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/user-experience-management/mobile-uem/how-to-instrument-an-android-app/using-multiple-dex-files/

Regards,

Babar

dave_deleo
Inactive

I believe that is the same error that our application owner was running into. Which concludes that you have hit the ceiling and the only way around this is to do multidex if you want to instrument. See the multidex link at the top of this discussion.