cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a measure or business transaction capture database time for a specific method execution?

lawrence_cuneaz
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

I would like to create a measure or business transaction that captures the database time for a specific method execution. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Solutions considered:

BT Considered

• Filter on method invocation and use the DB time result measure. The filter brings in the correct PurePath but the DB time measure is the DB time for the entire PurePath and not just the specific method invocation.

Measure Considered

• DB Time measure with a regex of the queries that are included in this method invocation. The queries is likely not not unique to this method invocation but confirming with the app team.

2 REPLIES 2

florent_duchate
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi

In short, maybe. BTs don’t have the concept of sub branches of a purepath. So if you filter for a method and add the db time you could pick up database calls outside the method.

So if your sql only appears inside the method call and nowhere else then it will work otherwise it won’t. If the sql is very specific futher filtering could make it work.

On a side note regex are very expensive so should be avoided.

Regards

Flo

Hi Florent,

There are other DB calls on the PurePath that we don't want included in the time calculation so the filter by method invocation is not enough. I understand that regex are very expensive but I stated that as a considered solution to help explain the needed measure but thank you for the reminder that such an implementation would not be feasible.

I created a DB Time measure that is only calculated for the specific Agent group for the application so we capture the DB time. I also told my client that they should use the database hotspot or database dashlet to see overall DB impact.

Regards,

Lawrence