cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Can we have Multiple Agent groups for the same agent name?

devinaarayanand
Inactive

Can we have mulitple agent groups for the same name?

We have agents in one system profile in the format

• server1.web
  • server1.api

can we have the following agent groups?

Agent Group 1:

Agent names starts with "server1"

Agent Group 2:

Agent Name starts with "server1.web"

Agent Group 3

Agent Name starts with "server1.api"

9 REPLIES 9

arihant_polavar
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Devi,

That's an interesting question. Is there a particular reason why you want to do this?

I would think that "server1.web" will report to Agent Group 2, "server1.api" will report to Agent Group 3 and nothing will report to Agent Group 1 in this scenario.

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

You would not want this - agents can only match one agent mapping at a time and this is how they know what configurations to pull and use when they connect to the server. If you are looking to group these agents/hosts in various ways I would look into using hostgroups, labels, or tags.

James

Thanks James. When I look at the agents overview, it shows only one agent mapping.

I'm not sure what you're asking, the agent mappings are defined by you. What are you expecting to see.

trevor_masseng1
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hi Devi,

If you are asking if group 1 can have agents "server1.web" and "server1.api" while group two would only have "server1.web" and group 3 would only have "server.api", then the answer is no.

A single agent can only belong to a single agent group.

Here is our documentation for Agent Groups:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/appli...

Let me know if I didn't understand your question right

Yes, the ideas was that Group 1 would get data from server1 (including both api and web) Group 2 would get data from server.web and Group 3 would get data only from server.api. Is this not allowed? Would it have any bad repercussions?

It wouldn't have repercussions because it simply wouldn't work. An agent can only be tied to one agent group at a time.

James is right.

devinaarayanand
Inactive

Thank you everyone.