cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Can we instrument DCRUM performance with dynatrace?

ymaya
Contributor

We're experiencing seious CAS performance issue.  We have opened ticket but no progress, Can we monitor CAS with dynatrace? I heard someone talked about this. But I didn't see a java process in CAS server.

Thanks

YC

16 REPLIES 16

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi YC

Yes - it can be done and I know that our DCRUM team in fact also uses dynatrace to monitor and optimize their performance. I will forward this to the DCRUM team that I know has done this

Stay tuned

Andi

Thanks

Hi YC,

I have attached the most recent DCRUM profile I current have: DCRUM.profile.xml 

Please note that some of CAS code is written in Groovy and you will need dynaTrace 6.2 to gain complete visibility, but for 99% of cases instrumenting just java code is sufficient. 

Here is a thread at DCRUM community which you might be interested in as well: Can dynaTrace monitor the CAS? 

Best,

Sebastian

Hi Sebstian,

The URL you insert is this page. Could you please provide the thread you mentioned?

Thanks 

YC

The link is actually a link to an internal forum - thats why you can reach it. I exported the discussion as PDF. you can get it from here: CanDynatraceMonitorCAS.pdf

EDIT - well - i guess the export didnt work that well as the PDF only contains one comment. Here is the important informaiton of that disucssion

yes it is possible to monitor CAS/ADS/CSS/RUMConsole in dynatrace and yes it is supported exactly in the same manner as monitoring of any other java application.

For CAS/ADS you would need to add the java agent directly to the invocation line in registry or to <cas/ads directory>\server\runserver.bat in case you are not using window's services.

javaparams=    -agentpath:"c:\Program Files\dynaTrace\dynaTrace Agent 5.5.0\agent\lib\dtagent.dll"=name=CAS_12.0,server=172.18.149.72:9998 -Xmx3861M -XX:MaxPermSize=256m...............

In CSS/RUMConsole that are build on a programming framework you need to add the agent to wrapper.conf.

c:\Program Files\Compuware\RUM Console\cva\eclipse\configuration\wrapper.conf

#jmx server, jconsole

wrapper.java.additional.6=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=false

wrapper.java.additional.7=-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

#wrapper.java.additional.8=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=21099

#wrapper.java.additional.9=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false

#wrapper.java.additional.10=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false

#wrapper.java.additional.11=-Dosgi.debug=

wrapper.java.additional.8=-agentpath:"c:\Program Files\dynaTrace\dynaTrace Agent 5.5.0\agent\lib\dtagent.dll"=name=RUMConsole,server=172.18.156.120:9998

Please note that the list of  "wrapper.java.additional" parameter numbers must be continuous hence I add the agentpath on top of active (unhashed) list.

The last step is to add agents to system profile in dynatrace Client and _restart the system under test (CAS/ADS/etc)

Thanks, Andi. 

I'm using windows services. Do you meant I shall add "javeparams= agentpath ..." after windowsjre.exe directly in registry as screenshot. 

Thanks

YC

I see the syntax of windowsjre.exe is as below,

windowsjre [-manual] -install service_name [registry_entry]
Install the service, -manual means manual start of service.
The second parameters point to registry where to find JVM parameters. 

Is that mean my todo list should as below?

1. remove current CAS/ADS services
  2. create a string value name as javaparams under CAS services in registry. And add -agentpath... as value of that entry
  3. re-install services by windowsjre -install "Compuware Central Analysis Server"  javaparams

Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks again

YC

let me double check with the folks that came up with the initial internal psting and get their help on this

Hi Sebastian,

I see that the system profile you listed contains an agent group for the AMDs. Are there any instructions on how to instrument the AMDs.

Thanks,

-Cosmin

marek_stojaczyk
Dynatracer
Dynatracer

Hello Yc,

If you want to add dynaTrace agent to CAS you don't need to remove CAS service. Sequence of this steps is the following:

1. In regedit navigate to javaParam register (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Adlex->Watchdog->Central Analysis Server)

2. add the following entry  -agentpath:"path_to_dtagent.dll"=name=system_profile_name,server=collector_IP:collector_port  as a firs parameter in register Value data

3. restart Your CAS 

Regards,

Marek

Hi Marek,

Just want to double confirm, when you say first paramter in registry , do you meant the params I listed in the screenshot?

Thanks

YC

MichaelFerguson
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

YC,

You are looking at the wrong registry folder/keys.   As stated above you need to go to this folder.   

1. In regedit navigate to javaParam register (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Adlex->Watchdog->Central Analysis Server)

Once in the section click on the Central Analysis Server folder on the left and on the right you will see a bunch of keys on the right.    You need to edit the javaParams key the Marek stated.  Note, I am running 12.3,  but in 12.2 the folder will be call Central Analysis Server.

2. add the following entry  -agentpath:"path_to_dtagent.dll"=name=system_profile_name,server=collector_IP:collector_port  as a firs parameter in register Value data

3. restart Your CAS 

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks, Mike. That helps a lot. 

If I want to monitor CSS, where I should put agentpath?

Thanks again

YC

MichaelFerguson
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

HI YC,

I have never done the CSS before.      Is there are reason why you want to monitor the CSS?    You said the CAS has processing delays,   the CSS shouldn't impact the CAS processing.   From my experience CAS processing delays can be one of four things:

1.   The CAS has reached capacity from what your monitoring and another CAS will be needed to split up the workload
  2.   Somewhere in the CAS/DB infrastructure there is bottleneck,  such if the CAS is virtualized maybe the resources are tights on the VMHost,  or if a remote database and its shared with other Databases it could be slow,  or if you are using a SAN maybe the disk speed was changed or not on fast enough disk.   Without knowing your setup its hard to say.
  3.   There is a software services configuration that's causing an issue where its creating large data sets to processed which is impacting overall processing
  4.   There may be known patch

It sounds like you have a case open with support.   I would continue to work with them to see if any of the above are true.

Regards,

Mike

Hi YC, 

both CSS and RUM Console are based on OSGi and they need to be setup for instrumentation in a different way - you need to modify wrapper.conf file by adding wrapper.java.additional.N entry with agentpath, just as Andi wrote in his comment. 

Cheers,

Sebastian

ymaya
Contributor

Thanks everyone's kindly response.