cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Chart view and visits view shows different values for average action duration

antonio_villarr
Advisor

Hi,

We are doing a analysis of the visits for a ecommerce web site. We found the following situation that shows two different values:

We created a metric for a user action (load home page). When I compare the value in a chart with the same action in the user actions dashlet, I am getting two different values.
This is what I am doing:

1.- See image_01:

Charting metric based on the average of a user action load home page (duration).

As you see between 09:10 - 09:11 the average value is 54.81 s.

2.- See image_02:

Attached is the user actions view between 09:10 and 09:11:

This view shows that the average time for the load home page is now 60.09s.

Anyone has an explanation for this difference?

Thanks in advance.

Antonio V.

7 REPLIES 7

john_liebal
Helper

Hi Antonio,

Could you add the count, max, and min to the chart to compare with the User Action Dashlet, and are you able to send the charted measure configuration?

antonio_villarr
Advisor

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

I am attaching the data with the extra columns you indicated. The chart has less samples. The doc file has the screenshots.

Kind regards,diag-views.docx

Antonio V.

john_liebal
Helper

Could you edit the measure and send the measure configurations for the M_ALCAMPO. It should show that is it measuring the response time of every compra-online page load that we are looking at in the User Actions Dashlet. From what I can see the maximum time is right, but the others seem to be off. The most interesting is that the count shows 9 on the chart but there are 13 showing on the User Action Dashlet for the same timeframe.

antonio_villarr
Advisor

Hi,

Attaching the definition.

Antonio V.

john_liebal
Helper

Hi Antonio,

Could you please try the following to confirm that the User Action Dashlet and the Custom Measure for page load that you've created are in fact reporting the same data?

1. Create a new dashboard. Add a Chart Dashlet with 5 occurrences of the custom page load measure. Set the aggregation of these to avg, min, max, sum, and count.

2. Change the Chart Type to Meter, the Resolution to One Value, and the Splitting to Split by Series. This should give you 5 Meter Charts with those values for the timeframe set on your dashboard

3. Open a User Action Dashlet on the same dashboard. Drag it to the other side of the dashboard so that you can see both the chart and User Action Dashlet on the same Dashboard, and so that they are set to the exact same timeframe.

4. Ctrl+F on the User Action Dashlet and search for the page load in question. The top level response time should match the average in your Meter Chart. The highest and lowest should match max and min respectively, the count should equal the total number of actions, and the sum should equal the total of all response times for those actions.

Let me know if you have any questions on this. Thanks!

antonio_villarr
Advisor

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

I did what you said, and I am getting this:

1.- Using easytravel

2.- Time range: 10.40-10.45

3.- Created a measure load action time for /orange.jsf

4.- Follow all your instructions (one value resolution)

The min and max values does match.

My guess is that the action dashlet has all the samples, while the measure in the chart dashlet does sampling at every 10 s, and some samples get aggregated. Could this be the reason?

Kind regards,

Antonio V.

I would change the measures to the total instead of split by Application. That should give you results closer to what you would expect. You are correct though, the User Action Dashlet contains PurePath data from the server, while the measure data is from the Performance Warehouse and is aggregated every 10 seconds.