cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charting By Agent Host for Dynamic Hostnames

rputhen
Guide

Hello,

We have added Dynatrace Appmon 6.5 to our Docker Containers by embedding Dynatrace install with Docker image. Container names for docker hosts are dynamic and after every bounce / deployment container name will change to a random alpha numeric number.

We would like to create Web UI Dashboards for Service and Infra Health as we have almost 50+ micro services spanned in multiple containers in different docker swarm clusters. Current challenge is if we create a chart for Host CPU and memory by selecting container names from "Split by Agent Host" it wont work after every deployment as container names will change . We cannot just use filter "split by agent host" as it will give for every host under that system profile , we need a way to create a host metric chart for dynamically changing host names.

Let me know if you have some reccomendation.on same.

Thanks

Ram

3 REPLIES 3

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Hi Ram

You bring up a very good point which I believe is currently not well addressed in our web dashboards. I will forward this question to our product team who works on the web dashboards. We have made significant improvements in the web ui for the upcoming Dynatrace AppMon 2017 May (v7) release. I am not sure if this use case is addressed in v7 but lets see what the PM Team says

Andi

patrick_thurner
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Ram,

there's a workaround which may be interesting for you. The idea is to create a unique hostname per e.g. docker image and then provide a unique agentname per container instance.

You can override the automatic hostname detection from our agents using the agent config parameter "overridehostname" (e.g. for java see https://community.dynatrace.com/community/pages/viewpage.action?title=Java+Agent+Configuration&space... ).

This allows you to use e.g. the docker image name as your hostname. But this comes with a drawback, as the monitored processes within multiple instances of the container get aggregated. To see the processes separated again, you need to provide unique agentnames by e.g. simply adding the container's hostname (which is unique) and append it to your agentname. .

This solution will provide you host-metrics aggregated by multiple container of the same image. But if splitting by agentname is key for your dashboarding this won't work anymore due to the unique agentnames.

Patrick

rputhen
Guide

Hi @Patrick T. @Andreas G.

I am not sure this will work for us as we just have a single docker image for our Cluster. We use openjdk 8 base image with our customizations on top of it, same images is being used by the platform to build all the 20+ micro services which is being deployed to a Dockers Swarm Cluster with 8 nodes.

I am attaching an Web UI image which clearly shows the splitting options for host metrics. Only option is agent host , but challenge is host name will change with every deployment. Is there a way we can get host metrics with a splitting option by Agent Group name as every micro service have a static agent group name, but again not sure that is possible as one micro service will have multiple containers.

containercpu.png

Thanks

Ram