cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collecting mod_mpmstats measures in AppMon?

tim_white
Newcomer

Hi.

New user here... (please be gentle).

Web Server monitoring within AppMon (6.5) on IBM HTTP Server (apache fork).

I can see that within AppMon we can collect the following Web Server measures:

Busy Threads, Bytes Sent, Idle Threads, max Threads, Request Rate, Requests, Transfer Rate per Request, Transfer Rate per Second

Our Web Server admins advise that they make use of mod_mpmstats to tell how many threads are busy, and what state they are in: ready, read, write, close, keep alive, logging, or dns lookup.

Could someone point me in the direction of how I can make this information available in AppMon.

I have searched the forum for mod_mpmstats with no joy, a search for mpm returned a few hopeful looking threads

Cheers
Tim

4 REPLIES 4

Cody_Kachelski
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi Tim,

Depending on the exact use cases, you could be looking for custom measures or perhaps utilizing a plugin.

Have you tried custom measures? If you edit your system profile, and choose "create measure" and search for custom, there are several options which allow you to utilize JMX or PMI metrics to browse Mbeans on the server to pull in additional data.

-Cody

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

There is an apache plugin monitor that makes use of the Apache mod_status page. You could maybe clone it or augment it to handle mod_mpmstats.

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

HTH,

dave

tim_white
Newcomer

Hi Cody,
Thanks for getting back so quickly.

I had looked through the options in create measures, but not done a search for 'custom', so I've just tried it. As you note, there are JMX & PMI measures available.

Unfortunately when you try to select an IHS agent, the agent browser responds with "Please select a Java Agent"

We've found:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

in the community plugins, which looks like it might cover a few more of the bases. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tim

tim_white
Newcomer

Hi Dave,

Yes, we spotted the mod_status plugin (following Cody's post) and I have to admit, the thought of cloning it has crossed my mind. Though until we have time to look at it, it's not something I would suggest to our web server admins.

Ta
Tim