cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Collector Groups and .NET Agents

jay_gurbani
Participant

If you have a collector group setup with 3 collectors in a collector group, and you have .NET agents setup to talk to one of those collectors. Without looking at the .NET agent configuration screen on the application server, is there another way from the server or collector side, which specific collector the .NET agent is configured to? Collector01, 02 or 03?

6 REPLIES 6

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, you should be able to see which collector any agent is connected to by looking at the Agents Overview - there is a column for which collector it is connected to.

James

jay_gurbani
Participant

James - Good thought, but no its not true, because of load balancing, the collector in agents overview screen can be either Collector01, 02 or 03.

Are you asking to know which collector an agent will connect to? The way the load balancing works it will randomly connect to any of the collectors in the group - I don't believe there is any way to know for sure which it will connect to. Here is an excerpt from a support case where this inquiry was made:

Each agent will get a randomized list of collectors in the group and connect to the first one in that list, then to the next one if the first one is not reachable, and so on. The randomized list ensures an equal distribution of all agents to the collectors.

The actual collector that you specify on the command line will only be used at the end of the list, so it has no big influence on load balancing as the agent will normally connect to one of the collectors in the group first.

@James K. No, I want to know if there's a way to tell which collector is actually the configured collector for the .NET agent, without having access to the .NET agent configuration app on the app server.

Let me expand a little bit further to get you some background on why I need that information. We have 1 collector group with 2 collectors, collectorA, collectorB. Both collectors run on 2 different servers(server1 and server2). I have to eventually remove server1 from our datacenters because its old. Application teams are changing the configuration within applications, to point to collectorB on server2 over time. Because of segregation of duties, my team doesn't have access to the application servers to validate if changes are actually being made. For Java agents its easy to check because you look at the command line arguments. For .NET agents, there's no easy way to validate that.

For .NET agents, when the agent connects and load balancing kicks in, in the agents overview screen it will show as collector as either collectorA or collectorB. I need a definite way to validate if application teams are actually have it configured to point to collectorB. I was hoping in the agent log files or somewhere I could see that?

Ah okay, that makes more sense. I don't have any collector groups active at the moment so I can't check, but I do imagine you would see some relevant log entries in the agent logs at startup for the agents that may show this but I'm not sure what they would be offhand. If I can find anything I'll update.

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Jay,

As @James K. already explained very well. I would like to add a bit more as a best practices to distribute your agents equally to all the collectors on the first stage and later on the auto load balancing / fail-over feature will take care of it.

Regards,

Babar