cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collector Migration and Host Name

BabarQayyum
Leader

Dear All,

This maybe a silly question and asked many times with the different ways but we have a bit different story.

We migrated collector from physical server to virtual server and provided the same IP address to the virtual server to make sure that the agents can connect to the same IP/collector as usual because the agents were configured to connect to the IP address.

So the agents are connected to the migrated collector as expected but the situation is that the host name is still old for the collector and we are unable to find/change the old collector host name with the new host name.

Looking forward for your as usual professional assistance.

Regards,

Babar

4 REPLIES 4

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

I'd look in the collector.config.xml file to see if you see that old name anywhere - we had to change a value in the server.config.xml file when we migrated our server - I bet it is something similar. Note that to change these values you should first shut down the server before making and saving the change if it is in there.

James

Hello James,

Thank you for your answer. I had gone through everywhere to
find the host name but could not find.

I shared the below information for your reference taken from the
collector.config.xml file where you can see that the existing groupname, serveraddress,
serverport, collector but there is no information about the host
name of the collector.

<collectorconfig memento.version="7.0.17.1015" proxyport="8080" proxyusername="" compress="true" communicationssl="true" useproxy="false" useproxyauthentication="false" groupname="Group B" serveraddress="Dynatrace AppMon Server" communicationport="8041" usepreemtiveproxyauth="true" selfmoncollector="false" watchdogtimeout="10" serverport="6699" usetunnel="false" name="dynaTrace Collector" authstring="" embedded="false" tunnel="http://localhost:8033/tunnel" proxyhost="">

Regards,

Babar

Looks like this has the name but the host name is mainly resolved through nslookups of the IP. There's some tickets around this but most are old around 6.3 so I don't what to look too much into what they did for those.

I'd look at your collector startup logs and check for lines that indicate the name lookup failed:

E.g: Could not resolve FQDN for IP

James

Hello @James K.

I had gone through the collector logs to found the below
entries where Hostname: xxxxdcw2.xxxx.xxxxx.com is the old hostname for the
collector, detected collector addresses and DtangAdapter except
UserPluginManager xxxxdcw3.xxxx.xxxxx.com:6699 which is the new name of the
host.

Line 39: 2018-04-01 12:22:54 INFO [Collector]   Hostname: xxxxdcw2.xxxx.xxxxx.com (xx.xx.xxx.208)

Line 44: 2018-04-01 12:22:54 INFO [Collector] Detected collector addresses: [xx.xx.xxx.208,xxxxdcw2.xxxx.xxxxx.com]

Line 46: 2018-04-01 12:22:55 INFO [UserPluginManager] Plugin manager started on xxxxdcw3.xxxx.xxxxx.com:6699

Line 64: 2018-04-01 12:22:59 INFO [DtangAdapter] dtang adapter started on collector dynaTrace Collector@xxxxdcw2.xxxx.xxxxx.com<br>

Regards,

Babar