cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collector failed to start normally!

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi,

I have two Collectors installed on one server but connected to different Dynatrace servers but one has refused to start normally. It starts and gets terminated immediately. what could be the problem?

Br,

Chris

9 REPLIES 9

christopher_teb
Organizer

Members, any help its urgent!

Br,

Chris

christopher_teb
Organizer

Members please help me about that above, i have Demo to ma stakeholders

Br,

Chris

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Christopher,

Do you mean two collector instance pointing to two different servers?

Can you read and share the logs of the collector which is failing?

Note: I am not exactly sure about this scenario whether it should work or not because this is new for me also.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

Actually to cut the story short, finally the Colledctor started but cannot bind with the ports. i use 8033 for both. These two Collectors connect to different DT servers but are running on the same physical server. Which other port can i use for the other Collector in order it also runs?

Chris

Hello Christopher,

As per communication setup port 8033 is using for the tunnel HTTP from collector to server which sent data is by default encrypted.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/installation/set-up-communication-connections/

If you want your Collector instance to connect to a specific Server other than localhost, add -server <dynaTraceServerName> to the registration (Windows) or shell script (Linux/Unix).

The first start of the new Collector instance creates the directory structure <DT_HOME>\collector\instances\<CollectorInstanceName> that replicates the structure of the default instance and copies the files from there.

You can follow the instructions from the below link.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/installation/install-collectors/#anchor_extra-instances...

Regards,

Babar

thomas_klambaue
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi!

Did you use a portoffset when you set up the second collector? When you run two collectors both will use the same default TCP/IP ports on that machine, and the second one will fail.

See the -portoffset parameter in the init.d scripts or under windows the command line when you performed the -service install command.

Best regards, Thomas

christopher_teb
Organizer

Thanks Babar,

My worry is, will the agents still connect to that Collector because the port shall be changed to 9997 instead?

Br,

Chris

Hello Christopher,

Yes. When you will configure the agents then mention the port 9997 instead of 9998 ( default port).

Regards,

Babar

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi all,

Thanks for your support. It was so helpful

Br,

Chris