cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Common Collector

thomas_doyle
Participant

We're thinking of techniques to reduce the annual costs for Dynatrace. One idea that I need feedback on is running a common collector for several applications. Does anyone have this approach in practice and what are the technical issues segregated VLAN environment?

3 REPLIES 3

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

At a high level as long as the collector can handle the traffic it is fine to have multiple applications sending data to it. The main issue I could see arising is the agents in the applications need to be as close physically to the collector as possible - ideally not passing through many other networking components. If the connections aren't fast enough a number of issues can arise.

If all of the applications are relatively close together and the collector has enough resources to handle all of the traffic then I would say this is possible.

James

nva_dt
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Thomas,

Yes, as James mentioned, this is totally possible. Usually, if your servers are at the same physical location, same data centre, it works fine.

In case the distance is too important, you will see error messages regarding transformation, in logs and in the agent dashlet.

Have you thought about collector groups? It may be interesting for you to have a second collector for the agents to fail over.

Finally, you can check the load on your collector with the deployment health dashboard, tracking buffer capacity, CPU and memory.

Hope this helps,

Nic

uday_pethakamse
Inactive

@Thomas D

The Dynatrace license is for agents and UEM volumes, and not for the collectors. You can have any number of collectors. The nearer the agents and their corresponding collectors, the lesser the latency issues. If you are concerned about the COST-REDUCTION, rethink about the dynatrace agents that you are using. Try to remove the agents for the applications, which you think are not essential.