cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concurrent User Login - Siebel Application

Hello

We are currently Siebel application (web) which is on Windows servers. IIS is the webserver. We have UEM and DC RUM configured for our application. I am trying to find out which one is better to pull Total Users and the Concurrent user logins.

As I remember there should be a out of the box measure that will help me with concurrent visits. But i could not see it. I also checked in the cockpit and still the same. Is there a way I can get these metrics from UEM or DC RUM.

Appreciate your thoughts and advise please.

Regards

GK

15 REPLIES 15

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

With UEM there should be a measure for concurrent visits. If you don't see it be advised that it may not be created by default but a template should exist for it. If this is the case you would need to click the "Create Measure" button on the measures screen and find it under User Experience Management -> Visits:

James

Hi James

Thank you very much.

Regards

GK

Hi James,

One clarification. Can I call it as Concurrent User Login?

This will include all visits regardless of whether the user logged in or not - any visit you see will be included. Thinking it out I can't immediately come up with a way to use this to track only logged in users so I'm not sure if this is possible. Perhaps someone has some ideas in this area I haven't considered.

The closest you may be able to get is to create a visit based business transaction with a filter measure that will only include visits that indicate a user logged in. Maybe a cookie or header value, or a specific web request only a logged in user would see. This would let you track the sum of logged in user visits over time - it wouldn't exactly be concurrent visits but it would be a decent approximation I would expect.

Hi James,

Thankyou for the explanation. But isnt it every user login is a visit. Considering user may logout and login multiple times. Which means user may have multiple visits.?

Is my understanding incorrect? if so, could you please help me understand better.

Visits in UEM are created when a user navigates to one of your web pages that has the JavaScript agent injected. The JS agent is loaded into the page and begins tagging any requests from that page as well as posting additional data back to your servers. All the requests include a cookie that is used to track that UEM visit. So long as that cookie is present that will remain one visit and the only thing that will end it by default is after 30 minutes (configurable) of inactivity. I'll note that the JS Agent ADK could also be used to end it earlier but this involves modifying your web pages.

AppMon/UEM has no way of knowing how your application works in terms of logging in users and so while you can track things like users logging out and logging in this will not impact visits. Anonymous and logged in users will all create visits. So even if a user is not logged in when they visit your pages a visit is created and if a user logs in and out multiple times so long as the cookie value has not changed it will be considered one visit.

A decent starting point to look more into them:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/user-experience-management/how-does-uem-work/

Are you explaining, when user navigates from one page to another page, it is considered as a visit. If so, then when we search based on visits, theoretically we should see so many visits for 1 user right? However we see few visits and too many user actions.

No, so long as the cookie value for that visit is the same and the visit has not timed out from inactivity all of the individual user actions (page loads) will be tied together in one visit.

User actions make up visits.

Got you. Is there a way I can get concurrent users count from UEM?

Sorry to repeat same question. trying to get this out of UEM from morning.. but not successful

What you would be able to get is the concurrent visits via the previously noted measure. It depends on what your definition of a user is, if anyone can be a user (logged in or anonymous) that measure would work. If you define a user as only someone who is logged in you would need to make a business transaction as was noted that is based on visits and is filtered to only included logged in users via the presence of some measure or other piece of information that indicates the user has logged in (e.g. a /loginsucess page or a header or cookie only present for logged in users). That business transaction would let you track visits over time where users have logged in.

is it possible to be detail a bit in this stmt with example please - "if anyone can be a user (logged in or anonymous) that measure would work"

If you would consider a user to be anyone accessing your site regardless of whether or not they logged in then I would expect that measure to work in your use case.

If you only want to consider logged in visits as users more configurations would be necessary.

Here is how user login works for us. When user login, there is a timestamp created at DB level. Unless user re-login using home page/login page, it is considered same user login

I think the most I'll be able to add is it sounds like in your case you could create a visit based business transaction using that /login page as the filter measure and you may be able to at least get an approximation of the number of logged in visits over time.