cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected (Issue: Instrumentation was disabled during Agent startup. The Collector runs on low memory.)

karthikayini_mu
Inactive

Hello All,

Please tell, should I act on the below error.

Connected (Issue: Instrumentation was disabled during Agent startup. The Collector runs on low memory.)

(Or)

The server would automatically get connect.

Why did it happen.

Thanks & regards

Karthikayini M

14 REPLIES 14

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

If you look an your agents overview you'll probably see that agent in a yellow state - instrumentation disabled means it won't be capturing PurePaths. Your collector was low on memory so in order to cope with that it began preventing agents from getting instrumentation to avoid running out of memory.

You'll need to resolve the memory issue either by restarting the collector or ideally increasing the amount of heap (if possible) available to the collector process to avoid running low on memory. Once that is resolved the agents/applications need to be restarted so that they can be instrumented.

James

Hi @James K.,

Somehow all the agents instrumentation got disabled after planned restart of applications servers.

Raised a support ticket too.

Meanwhile can you please tell, applications servers restart is the only option to fix this.

Thank you so much in advance.

Hi James,

One question, We have the collector and server on same host. Will increasing the server sizing will help resolve this issue for collector also?

You have to change collector memory allocation settings to use extra memory by collector. Embedded collector is not recommended especially for production.

It is DR (non-prod) one. The server Total RAM is 32 GB with the server set to Medium (32GB).

The Collector runs on 2 GB Heap. And there is like 70-80% Utilization with 2 GB free. Should we TWEAK XMX setting or rather increase the resources?

Hi Sebastian, Can I increase the heap like:

-Xmx2560m

-Xms2560m

Hi Sebastian,

Can I increase the collector heap like:

-Xmx2560m
-Xms2560m

In documentation there are only examples with gigabytes

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/shortlink/id_set_up_collectors#configure-memory

So I’m not sure.

Sebastian

trevor_masseng1
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

To add to James' answer:

The settings for the collector heap are located in the configuration file highlighted below, you'll need to navigate to the folder where you installed your collector.

I've included a screenshot of the lines in the configuration file that will need editing. All you need to do is change the number to reflect the amount of memory you would like to assign to the collector - make sure the host has enough memory first though. Once you've done this, restart your collector service and the changes should apply.

ex: If I wanted to change my file to give my collectors 8 GB instead of 6 GB (my current setting), I would change -Xms6G and -Xmx6G to -Xms8G and -Xmx8G.

Hi @Trevor M.

Somehow all the agents instrumentation got disabled after planned restart of applications servers.

Raised a support ticket too.

Meanwhile can you please tell, applications servers restart is the only option to fix this.

Thank you so much in advance.

This is correct - all of the instrumentation occurs at application startup.

Hi @James K.,

Thanks for the reply.

I am having 4GB RAM only.

Right now -Xmx2G
-Xms2G is defined.

Is it advisable to change to 4GB or 3 GB like that.

Regards

Karthikayini M

Hi @Karthikayini M., believe I just replied to you in your last thread.

Absolutely increase it to 4G.

Have a thought to also add more collectors and perform a health check/sizing exercise for your environment.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your reply.

Thanks & regards

Karthikayini M